• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benzie

Game without animators

This topic is 5984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2058000/2058040.stm Anyone know anything about this? (some code and theory would also be nice :D )

Advertisement
Well I dont know the domain at all so it might be rubbish, but it sounds like a neural net is controling the whole thing. It get complex when you have to specify the constraints for good/bad behaviors. I can imagine articulations constraints and such are easy, but calculating if a position is valid or not has got to be a bitch (ie : he's going to fall over, the head cant be used to walk etc). Maybe with a good physic base ( which I dont have ^_^). I wonder how much teaching is involving and how much is coded...

[edited by - Dark Rain on June 30, 2002 10:24:23 AM]

i dont htink that that is going to be very good for games, i mean, how do u teach it? i dont get how the system works. are the coders going to have to teach it to do the stuff that its needed to do in the game?? thats just like animating it. or does it learn while u play the game? some learning is good during a game, but making it learn to walk during the game would be pretty lame. (imagine it trying ot learn how to do the stunts in an MX game lol)

Well in theory, if you code it well enough, it shouldnt need much human supervision to know if it did good or wrong. Once it has learnt well enough, you turn off the learning algo for in game.

I guess the idea is that the developers do the learning before the character in implemented in the game. After that, they take the neural network, rip out learning, compress it and plunge it in the game as a set character. Characters can be much more real this way. Moving and acting just as they are supposed to do.

Control over the learning is real easy. Say you want a character to learn to fight with a sword. Take 2 characters, give them swords, put them in a virtual arena and let them fight. If they die, they did it wrong. If they win, they learned how. If they won faster, they learned even more. The longer you have them fight eachother, the better they''ll get (and the tougher to beat by the player).

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

Yeah, imagine what that could be used for!! I loved the little sword example above.

Of course, game-wise, that example would include extending their intelligence from awareness of their own bodies to awareness of their surroundings, and actions from the other player/ai.

The intelligence could learn that to avoid the sword swing, he just steps back, out of the reach of the sword. The other intelligence would learn that to hit with the swing, he steps forward while swinging. The first intelligence then learns that simply stepping back is not enough, and learns to then parry or raise his own weapon to deflect the blow. This could go on and on and on and would ROCK!! Eventually you'd have sword masters

In order to start learning the swordplay, the intelligence would first have to learn the basics of movement... such as walking, stepping, jumping, standing, ducking, etc. Once these movements are known and mastered they can be applied.

This seems plausible now because before, the AI has always lacked self-awareness--which is what this intelligence hinges upon.

http://roninmagus.hopto.org

[edited by - Ronin Magus on July 3, 2002 1:04:35 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!