• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IndirectX

DShow ASF reader filter & privacy

This topic is 5860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m rolling my own media player, sort of wmplayer 6.4 "lite", because existing players either don''t have all the options I want, are too user-friendly (skins, etc.), or don''t play ASF files properly (said wmplayer 6.4, MCI stuff). I''m basically following DShow PlayWnd and PlayWndASF samples, and after reading the Windows Media Player thread I had this thought: if I use the MS ASF reader filter, will it send information over Internet by itself? Just wondering, because that would kinda suck. On a related note, does anyone know of lite players (not jukeboxes) other than wmplayer that would play ASF/WMA/WMV files? And lastly, has anyone obtained wmstub.lib from MS? They changed EULA for 7.1.1 Windows Media Format SDK so that now you can get it without signing anything, but I have found a link to direct download through Google (third link from the top). Am I doing something I should not be doing by downloading the SDK without registering with MS first? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
The EULA states that you aren''t supposed to distribute wmstub.lib, so I''d say yes. It quick and easy to register to download it, though. Besides, when you register, you get a wmstub.lib that doesn''t have any of the DRM stuff in it. The DRM stuff requires a seperate form be printed and mailed to them.

However, if you''re going to be using DirectShow to play back the video files, you don''t need the Windows Media Format SDK. The SDK is used primarily for creating encoders, converters (say, MPEG-2 to WMV), and players that allow the purchase of encrypted content. If you''ve already purchased your encrypted content through Windows Media Player, the DirectShow API''s will play them back.

DirectShow will play back anything that you have a DirectShow-compliant codec installed for (meaning most codecs, but not Real or QuickTime.)

RomSteady - Able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound

quote:
Original post by RomSteady
The EULA states that you aren''t supposed to distribute wmstub.lib, so I''d say yes. It quick and easy to register to download it, though.

I know, but I want to avoid MS in person for as long as I can.
quote:

However, if you''re going to be using DirectShow to play back the video files, you don''t need the Windows Media Format SDK.

You actually do.
quote:

The SDK is used primarily for creating encoders, converters (say, MPEG-2 to WMV), and players that allow the purchase of encrypted content.

Apparently, unprotected asf videos that I have must be "unlocked" before I see any video from them, which is where WMF SDK comes in.
quote:

DirectShow will play back anything that you have a DirectShow-compliant codec installed for (meaning most codecs, but not Real or QuickTime.)

Yes, except it will display a gray screen instead of the video if you play an ASF file. This is what Media Player 6 does and I get precisely the same result if I don''t provide the filter graph with a certificate that is generated by wmstub.lib. So it turns out I need the WMF SDK and wmstub.lib to see any video in ASF files.

But I agree, I better get my own wmstub.lib before my program leaves my computer.

Any opinions on my first question?

then you are viewing protectd videos. none of the asfs i play in mplayer6.4 dont work. also they work fun when a generate a graph using filter graph. even more i have gotten asfs playing onto textures in dx8. so obviously something is wrong with yoru setup or your asf files.

i never linked to wmstub.lib nor do i even have that file located anywhere on my harddrive.

something funny going on it is.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!