• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tszafran

Borland Compiler IDE

This topic is 5863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have been working on a IDE package for the free Borland comand-line compiler from Borland. I just have a couple questions, I noticed much of the GameDev''ers out there use VC++ or DevC++ for there development, is this because there isnt a good IDE for the Borland compiler? Or does the Borland compiler not meet your standards? Also what features do you find most usefull in a compiler? Does customization of every possible option a good thing? Or is that just un-need clutter? I would like to hear comments about what you would like to see in a project of this type. PS. I am looking for a secondary VB.NET coder for this project (VisualBasic.NET language, is different then VisualBasic6), or someone experienced in syntax colouring, who would be able to offer some helpful suggesstions.

Advertisement
I would much like to see an IDE that can be used for multiple compilers. The IDE can call choose which compiler to use without the need of makefiles.

Take a look at how VC++ with Visual Assist addon (www.wholetomato.com) works. As an text editor, it has so much functionality that I use it to write raw html, java, c++ code.

quote:
Original post by Void
I would much like to see an IDE that can be used for multiple compilers. The IDE can call choose which compiler to use without the need of makefiles.

Can''t VIDE do that? It''s been a while since I took a look at it though...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Can''t help, I use a text editor and the console.
I do have one suggestion which reflects the reason I will probably never use an ide again. I downloaded an ide that can be used for different compilers, I don''t remember which one(may have been vide). I opened up a source file I was working on and for some reason I got a blank screen. Lo and behold, when I go to Windows Explorer to see what is wrong and open the source file, it is blank. Apparently the program thought I wanted to open a project file. Fortunately the source file was short and I was able to rewrite it. It just really really really pissed me off. It''s an ide, wtf?!, aren''t they there for us to use to edit our source files? Anyway, if a file has an extension that would suggest it is a source file, such .c, .h, .cpp, or whatever, open it as such.

I used it with few Command Prompt windows (using some old DOS editor, since NotePad isn''t that powerful enough) and few NotePads... and positioned them just to have them similar to VC IDE ... eg:
MyProject.mak in NotePad on the right (aka Project workspace )
Command Prompt below (aka Compiler Output Window)
and the rest: editors.. and debugger (TD32).

Other than that... I got a smaller .EXE/.LIB (Release) file size compare to MSVC6 and CBuilder6 itself.

quote:
Original post by NuffSaid
The editor I use is Code Genie. It supports syntax highlighting, context sensitive help(!).

Damn... this is what I''m looking for... for ages!

quote:
Original post by Null and Void
Can''t VIDE do that? It''s been a while since I took a look at it though...

I had a look at it. It''s not quite what I had in mind. What VIDE does can do is support multiple compilers but only configured to use 1 compiler at any one time.

I''m looking for an ide which can select multiple compilers (with different compiler/link settings, of course) with the same make dependency information.

In fact, I have done makefile which seperate specific compiler/link calls and project dependencies. So I believe it is possible. The only problem is with dlls and static libs because unix works differently from win32.

The project is moving along quite well. I am using VisualBasic.NET for the programming and it will have a similiar feel to VisualStudio.NET with those new docking windows, menus, etc...

If anyone can suggest a good name for a Borland based compiler IDE please post it.

Also I am looking for more suggestions, sorry but I plan as of this point to only support the Borland compiler though.

Also if anyone has a good syntax colouring documentation on how to implement it in VB.NET, or some .NET components for it, please contact me.

Thanks everyone.

PS.
I would be interested in using the http://www.scintilla.org/ editing control, but a working example in VB.NET does not exist. If anyone could lend a helping hand please contact me also.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!