Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GF4 MX

This topic is 5677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had a gf4 mx, and if you do, could you tell me if its worth it or not. Right now I only have a tnt2, and I only have about $100 to spend on a video card, so you think that gf4mx is worth it for me? I mostly program/watch opengl demos and my tnt2 barely gets 10 fps on a lot of them. So is it good for 3d gfx?

under alot of conditions it''s not as powerfull as a GF3, and in some cases it performs worse than a gf2ti

I''d go with a gf3ti200 (in fact i did) as most ti200s are overclockable to the same speed as a ti500 anyways, its not much slower than a gf4 and out performs a gf4mx

I thought the GF4MX had a better fill-rate than the 3TI 200? Anyway, I''ve decided to wait until the GF5 comes out (running a GF2MX at present for home, with a GF3Ti 200 at work). In fact, I will probably time my GFX card upgrade with the release of Doom III

Still, I''m not sure if buying an ATI card would be a better idea. Anyone have an opinion here? I''ve been with NVIDIA since the TNT but they keep leap-frogging each other in terms of speed\features.

lol i have a gf2mx too (i got it way back when i just thought "hey, its a 64mb card its the best on the market" but now im smarter )

anyway i was thinking of doing it like u, getting the newest card that there is right when doom III comes out so i can have an opengl 2 compatable card

btw, when is DOOM3 coming out?

I''ve always been an NVIDA fan but I decided to buy an ATI Radeon 8500 128 MB when I found one brand new for $150 US. All the features that card has easily justifies that price. The card is a beauty except for the drivers.
-jon

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you go to Pricewatch you can pick up a GeForce4 Ti 4200 for about $140, which I think is comparable in price the the G4 MX. I have a Ti and have only heard bad reviews on the MX.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Generally the opinion has been bad though.

Ok, now on to specifics if you can help me, what features do gf3ti/gf4ti have that the gf4mx does not -- I am not talking about fill rate or triangles/sec, etc, I am talking about programmable features and extensions.

I have about $175 in my wallet right now that I want to spend, but I really only want to spend $100, so do you think that the extra money is worth it? Thanks.

EDIT: Changed content to make it more clear and specific

[edited by - neosmyle on July 1, 2002 11:21:28 PM]

I belive the main lacking point of the GF4MX is the lack of pixel/vertex shaders to the same level as a gf3/4ti cards (put it this way, the Nivdia web site says it dont have the nfiniteFX II in it, and it dont mention the nfiniteFX engine at all).

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce4

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce3

>>Ok, now on to specifics if you can help me, what features do gf3ti/gf4ti have that the gf4mx does not<<

a lot,
dont go by the gfX number but by the nvX number.
gf4mx is actually a nv17
gf3 is nv20
gf4 is nv25

gf4mx is basically the same as a gf1 or gf2 (just quicker), the gf3 + proper gf4 are a level higher

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

quote:
Original post by fatherjohn666
wait for the vpu''s from 3dlabs then watch the price go down

They are already available. Go to 3dlabs site and check out the Wildcat VP line of cards.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

personly, I''m waiting for OGL2.0 to appear and the line of cards which support it totaly in hardware to appear as well, granted i do have a gf3 which means i wont have many problems for a while yet anyways

quote:
Original post by tHiSiSbOb
Man...After reading this thread i fell like crap. My bro gave me a gf4 mx card for my birthday and now i feel like he wasted his money.

No, he didn''t waste his money. A GeForce3 Ti-XXX may be better, but it is still costs more. What video card is better than a GF4MX for the same price?