Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fonz

Having trouble setting up Direct X

Hey all, Im trying to get direct X 8.1 to work with visual C++ 5.0 but im having a little trouble. Ive included the directory INCLUDE for the include directory and the LIB directory for the Library directory. Then moved them to the top of the list. (Goto tools, Options and then the directories tab, to see what Im talking about). I have no trouble compiling code but when I attempt to link it tells me there is errors in the code. -------------------Configuration: CreateDevice - Win32 Debug-------------------- Linking... CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate8@4 LIBCD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main Debug/CreateDevice.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. CreateDevice.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s) Im trying to run the sample code that comes with the direct X 8.1 SDK. So I assume that it cant be a problem with the code. It could have something to do with the project settings.. as the project settings are not the same as the example given in the direct X help. Sorry if this is a little confusing. Has anyone got any ideas? Cheers, Fonz

quote:
Original post by jdinger2
Did you go to ''Project'' - ''Settings'' and click on the ''Link'' tab and add the *.libs that you need?

MSVC++ 6
DirectX 7

to be more specific, you probably need ddraw.lib and dxguid.lib ... manually add them to your project, or put them in your project settings like he said.

Sorry wrong DX version.

you are using 8.. you probably need dxguid.lib and uh d3d.lib and d3dx.lib or something along those lines.

just look it up in the samples if you can''t figure it out

Hey thanks,

Im going through the different library files at the moment.

I have found a rather interesting problem. Now I''ve been programming for a few years and I never found it a problem to include too many.. but it seems that when i include .lib files such as d3d8.lib i get one..

linking...
C:\DXSDK\LIB\d3d8.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x3b16034b
Error executing link.exe.

Is this normal? Or should I re-install.

Thanks again for the help.

cheers,
Fonz

Hey again,

To demonstratehow little I know about direct X ive linked the workspace with almost all of the .lib files and It still doesnt work.

I still get these errors.

Linking...
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate8@4
Debug/CreateDevice.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

CreateDevice.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

has anyone any ideas?

cheers,
Fonz