I'm getting started with DirectX 8.x

Started by
5 comments, last by jars 21 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone know where i can find a really simple "getting started with direct x article"? Everything i search for is fragmented and assumes prior knowledge of directx. I know zilch about directx and am looking for a really simple resource.
Advertisement
jars,

I don''t know of any articles, but I do know of a decent book.

I, too, was having a lot of trouble getting over the initial learning curve of DirectX 8.1, but I bought Peter Walsh''s "The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming," (Prima Tech) and it helped get me over it. From the book, I learned not only the basics of Direct3D 8.1--errm, I mean DirectX Graphics 8.1--but also the basics of setting up a game loop, setting fullscreen mode, etc.

Like most computer books, it''s a pretty penny, but worth it, IMHO. And there are several other great books that I''m sure other folks could recommend.

--Hoozit
----------------------Check out my game demo and resume at www.fivestory.com/projects/game.
Ehm you could buy a book named, ''Tricks of the windows game programming gurus''. This book has a good explanation of windows/direct X -programming. In my opinion it''s one of the best books to start learning direct X. The book explains version 6.0 of direct X and assumes that you know c.
What''s wrong with SDK tutorials? They won''t teach you how to program in C++ or how to create a window, but they are pretty good in explaining how to get started with DX.

---
Come to #directxdev IRC channel on AfterNET
Peter Walshes book is alright, but there are a few things in it that made me cringe.
For example: locking the backbuffer to do 2D stuff is really slow, and i heard rumours somewhere that you won''t be able to access the backbuffer at all in later versions of DX.
Also, creating, locking and releasing VBs every frame: you''d be faster to use DrawPrimitiveUP!

2p
Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Evil Bill:

Yeah, I agree with your objections to the book, especially the one on vertex buffers. Having said that, though, the book is accessible and interesting enough to keep persons with short attention spans (like myself) locked in long enough to get over the "initial hump" and actually complete a working program.

I suppose you could say that about many books, really, but not about the SDK, which is a little unapproachable for a beginner in the first stages of learning this stuff.

(It was later, and on this website, where I learned that Walsh''s approach to vertex buffers was a little odd. Now, thanks to you, I know that locking the back buffer is odd, too--thanks!

--Hoozit.
----------------------Check out my game demo and resume at www.fivestory.com/projects/game.
Andy Pike''s Excellent DirectX8 Tutorial is the best online tutorial I have seen for DirectX8.

Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement