Character progression in RPGs

Started by
51 comments, last by kingy 21 years, 8 months ago
quote:I'm opting for a skill based system with no real caps.

Insert 'permanent death' (or 'quasi-permanent death') into the equation and we have a winner.

[edited by - Silvermyst on August 2, 2002 11:28:34 AM]
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Advertisement
"Sure, there is a technical cap, but it''s well beyond what would be practical to obtain over the course of 3 years (i.e. without playing 16 hours a day for 3 years). "

Believe it or not, I dont think level 20 was supposed to be attainable back when Gary Gygax devised D&D... the thing is, the guys who design the system arent the guys that design the adventure that uses it...

Spectre Software - RPGs, strategy, puzzle games, programming
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
I would like to say one thing before I go as well. I hate caps(level caps, and stats for that matter). Its crazy, I spend a considerable ammount of time playing, quickly becoming the most experienced person in a stat-based game, only to hit a brick wall, as there will be a limit, most likely with several people sitting at the top... being unhappy. Many games don''t even explain such low caps, and they obviously aren''t technical caps. Personally, my game will only have a technical cap, not... well not one I make myself.

"Practice means good, Perfect Practice means Perfect"
"Practice makes good, Perfect Practice makes Perfect"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement