Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dacris

Terrain in Driving Game

Here''s the question. I''m making a driving game similar to Midtown Madness or GTA3, and would like to know the following: - What terrain file format would be best? X file or custom format? - Should I use some sort of trees to cull the terrain when rendering? - Can I work without terrain? Thanks in advance.

You should use octtree or quadtree to cull objects that aren''t seen. Do a google search or search the gamedev articles for tutorials.

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.

dacris:use somekind of culling, without it you will be very limited... (or you will limit your userbase to owners of geforce''s 5 or so
Most obvious is frustrum culling , you need to add somekind of tree to it too, octree and quadtree would be the obvious ones...
You can read v.good frustrum clipping and octree tuts+src on www.gametutorials.com
Yes, working without a terrain engine (i guess that''s what you meant) is ok as you can store all the terrain info in your octree.
It''s best to use your own format as it allows you to put everything you need and nothing more. It takes some time to develop it/write tools, but if you want to finish your game it will be just a very small percentage of time you will need overally for it and it could save you much trouble later if you start to think that .x format is a limitation for you afterall.