platform game demo

Started by
12 comments, last by diskheadyXI 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi there I''ve just uploaded the first demo of my platform game and i''d appreciate it if you''d let me know what you think. its a 127kb download from: http://mysite.freeserve.com/andy_williams/platform.zip I realise that a lot of the graphics are not mine but I simply can''t draw so I will be replacing them latter. cheers Andy
www.wolfwilliams.freeserve.co.uk
Advertisement
it doesn''t work well on my PC (350 mhz), it''s extreme slowness is not normal.
thanks for the feedback

I was worried about that - it works fine here but I have a p4 1.4ghz - I didn''t have a clue how it would work on other machines.

what graphics card do you have?

better get optimizing!

cheers

Andy
I''ve got a 2 Ghz Pentium 4 with a GeForce 4.

It took about 2 minutes for the main character to fall to the ground, so you''ve done something very very wrong indeed.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Im on an AMD Athlon 1ghz with geforce 3, I''m not sure how many FPS I was getting but it ran good.
AMD Athlon 1.2GHz
256M SDRAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP Video
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

Runs smooth... A bit slow, although I''m sure the framerate was good, I think this is more of a logic issue than actual engine speed as it was extremely smooth. There were a few issues that I''m not sure if they were intentional or what, such as some of the enemies seemed to be a couple pixels off the ground, but top notch demo. Keep up the good work.

DracosX:

Master of the General Protection Fault
DracosX:Master of the General Protection Fault
Pentium 4 1.8ghz 256MB

Runs fine on system(smooth). Needs alittle more work in some areas. I got easily frustrated with trying to jump on obstacles, some places I easily got stuck and couldn''t move. In one area not sure what level I fell off a ledge and returned onto the screen and fell again this happened over and over again in a loop with noway to stop.

PaulJ
Hi there

btw - I''m the guy who wrote the demo

paulj - I can understand why you got frustrated with the jumping - it needs a little work - I''m going for a slow paced game so it is intentionally slow. about falling forever - I realise this is possible - its because i don''t have a damage system in place yet - you can solve it by altering the maps actually

this demo was just really to see how smoothly it ran on other machines - if your having trouble then restart your machine and try again - I have trouble on my machine if i run it after IE or any other graphically intensive programs

DracosX thanks for your kind words - some of the enimies are floating - shouldn''t be too hard to fix - cheers

this has been very helpful thank you all very much

Andy
Nobody has to restart their computer to play other games, so you''re still doing something wrong.

How does your timer work?

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Ok here is how my timer works

first of all the initialisation I try to find out if there is a performance counter
and initialise the relivent variables depending:

// is there a performance counter available? 	if (QueryPerformanceFrequency((LARGE_INTEGER *) &perf_cnt)) { 		// yes, set time_count and timer choice flag 		perf_flag=TRUE;		time_count=(unsigned long)perf_cnt/60;		QueryPerformanceCounter((LARGE_INTEGER *) &next_time); 		time_scale=1.0/perf_cnt;	} else { 		// no performance counter, read in using timeGetTime 		next_time=timeGetTime(); 		time_scale=0.001;	} 	// save time of last frame	last_time=next_time;  

then in the main game loop I try to get the current time and then I test to see
if it is time to render the next frame
if it is I draw the frame and update the next_time variable

// use the appropriate method to get time 			// and calculate elapsed time since last frame			if (perf_flag) 				QueryPerformanceCounter((LARGE_INTEGER *) &cur_time); 			else 				cur_time=timeGetTime(); 			// is it time to render the frame? 			if (cur_time>next_time) { 				// calculate elapsed time				time_elapsed=(cur_time-last_time)*time_scale;				// save frame time				last_time=cur_time;								// yes, render the frame 				//render_frame();				draw();				// set time for next frame 				next_time = cur_time + time_count; 			}  

this code is from teach yourself directX 7 in 24hrs

cheers

Andy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement