Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lews

Windowed vs. Fullscreen

I read somewhere that some older 3D cards won''t provide hardware acceleration in windowed mode and will only do so in fullscreen mode. This seems hard to believe. Is it true? How old is old? What is the performance hit that you take when you''re rendering to the whole screen in windowed mode (a maximized window) versus fullscreen mode? What if you''re not drawing to the whole screen, but using a viewport? Would it be the same in both cases then? My intuition says that it would be because the rendered wouldn''t be able to page flip in that instance. Sorry for the newbie questions, any input would be valued.

The "old" Voodoo (1) cards can only accelerate in fullscreen
mode. No windowed acceleration! Yeah, those First-Generation
3D cards really suck compared to what we have now. But I still
have fond memories of playing Quake in all its OpenGL glories
when I first got my Voodoo card.

~~~~
Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

software mode bites.
dont use it unless you REALLY have to.

btw, the Voodoo2 couldnt do window''d acclerated 3D as well iirc, this is because when using those cards the video signal was switched from the primary 2D gfx card to the Voodoo1/2 card

tbh, I wouldnt worry about it that much now, very very few ppl still use a Voodoo2 as the primary 3D render, they was a good card back in the day, but 800*600 in 16bit color is very dated looking now, and they dont have proper OGL support either.

- Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 require fullscreen mode.
- A library exists (presuming you are developing using Glide 2 API) that will render Glide 2 apps in a window, called (appropriately) WinGlide.
- Your app should theoretically compensate for user-preference things like resolution, color depth, and so on. Some users might have slower ATI Rage 8mb cards, which offer OpenGL rendering in a window or fullscreen, but have poor performance (thus 640x480x16bpp would be a blessing); likewise, Geforce4 Ti4600 users would want to show off their stuff at 1600x1200x32bpp (or something slightly lower with forced 4X FSAA). Permitting both makes your elite programming skillz all the shinier and prettier.
- Rendering while in windowed mode has the added necessity of rendering GDI stuff, which is much slower (because some GDI stuff is pulled from system memory as opposed to VRAM).
- Whether or not the windowed program takes up the entire screen (except for the system menu), a small part of it, etc, is inconsequential with regard to performance, because GDI is still being accessed.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

Guest Anonymous Poster
Voodoo3''s CAN render in a window. Its just a matter of which drivers u use. The latest official drivers for Win2k/XP allow windowed rendering. I dunno bout Win98 drivers.
The catch is that the Voodoo3 has a max bit depth of 16bit for 3d. So if u wanna run a windowed 3D app, make sure u''re desktop is 16bit as well.