• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lews

OpenGL OpenGL from VB

This topic is 5847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m considering writing the client of my multiplayer space game in Visual Basic (mainly because I prefer VB''s approach to GUI creation over MFC - I know, I know "Use a real language" Hey. There are people here trying it write games in Java - get off my back :-P ) and using OpenGL to render the viewport. The world itself is sparse and 2D. What kind of a performance hit am I going to take by using OpenGL from VB instead of C++? I would guess very close to none at all, because the OpenGL libs are (I assume) compiled in C and all I''m going to be doing is calling OpenGL functions to change the state machine, again, handled internally by the library and compiled in C. I''ve done a little experimenting with the NeHe tutorials that exist in both C++ and VB incarnations and they seem to be about the same - won''t really know until I get a fps counter wired up for both of them. I''m a little concerned about performance because I''m developing on a 500Mhz laptop with zero hardware acceleration, though so far I am very impressed with the speed of the software renderer in scaling and rotating textures. As an add-on, I hear that the SGI Windows OpenGL libs sometimes give a great performace boost apps using software rendering. Is this true? I also hear that they are deprecated. What is involved in using SGI''s lib over Microsoft''s? Just the includes? Or are the function calls named differently? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
As long as you are a resonably competent programmer in VB, speed should not be a problem.

The usual figures I see are 10%-20% speed decrease from C++ to VB, with the 25% being for maths intensive stuff and 10% being light stuff. Those are usually done on unoptimised code samples, often direct line by line translations of code - C++ vs VB. This basically means that unique features of one language cannot be used, or if they are, then long workarounds must be used, even though the end result could be achieved in a much more elegant and processor friendly way.

Trying is the first step towards failure.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!