ext3

Started by
10 comments, last by Crazy_Vasey 21 years, 9 months ago
My system is really zipping along now much better than it used to with ext2. Extracting a 2meg .tar.gz file with ark is done almost instantly, it''s great Anyone else noticed speed boosts like this?
Advertisement
with ext3, you should notice a speed EROSION, not a boost

Its probably just psychological, or you used to be using an older kernel....

for thosen ot in the know, ext3 is ext2 with some extra journaling stuff, which (really simplified) increases reliability.

You can actually decrease the negative effects (read: speed it up) of going from ext2 to ext3 by switching from ordered to writeback modes... google it

There were some benchmarks of ext3 (along with reiserfs) done by some hacker... it was posted to the linux kernel mailing list not too long ago...
That''s strange although I suppose my kernels a few point releases higher with new slackware as opposed to Mandrake 8.0 RC sommat or other.
It seems faster to me, too. Maybe it''s something other than just the FS, but when I went from Slack 8.0 to 8.1 (and ext2 to ext3), I no longer experience temporary system hangs where I might be extracting a tarball, and my mp3''s will stop playing or play choppily for a bit. Actually, everything just runs smoother now... Maybe it''s not the FS though but something else that was included in 8.1...

I''m willing to bet quite a lot that it isn''t that ext3 is faster than ext2, but rather that a different configuration change caused the speedup.

specifically, one of you said you went from slack 8.0 to 8.1? but you don''t mention kernel versions...

you could have gone from 2.2.19 to 2.4.18, if you''ve never changed your kernel
No, I actually went from 2.4.17 to 2.4.18

Besides, I changed kernels quite frequently under my old system, and the same little temporary hangups kept happening.

ext3 rocks. I remember i had to wait forever for fsck under ext2.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

Yeah, the only problem is if you dual boot.... You still have to wait a while every 20 boots... Though fsck still seems to run faster on ext3...

You can change those periodic checks using tune2fs (check the manpage). You can even disable them completely, though that''s not recommended.

cu,
Prefect

Return to the Shadows
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Hi !
i''m using ext2 on a redhat 7.3, i have a dual boot with windows (which i use lesser everyday), with one partition for each, so is there a way for me to turn my ext2 partition into an ext3 one without having to reinstall everything ?

thanks in advance

--
flure
--flurehttp://flure.free.fr

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement