Game Menu's

Started by
2 comments, last by The-Guy 21 years, 9 months ago
I want to make a main menu for my game but im not sure how to go about it. Anyone have any ideas, im not sure whether to make a new .exe or just create a new window ?
Advertisement
I''d make a class for each view (intro, menu, game, ..) and then post the WM to the active class (it''s just a case - function.
So you can do everything in one window

cYa
DjR
cYaDjR====================may you be in heaven half an hourbefore devil knows you''re dead ;)
Well...the choices you have depend on what you''re using to make your game. If you''re using the Win32 API, programming with Windows, you can have your menu at the top of the window, with a menu bar. If you''re using DirectX or anything in fullscreen mode, you should probably make a separate section in your program to display menu graphics on the screen, and interpret keypresses for navigation in the menus.

Twilight Dragon
Win32 API Expert
www.freewebz.com/j-world
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
In my Pong game, I just draw a menu to the screen using text and a textured quad for the logo. Then, a draw a little "cursor" (circle) to show which option is currently selected. When enter is pressed, I check to see what position the cursor is at and then I do the appropriate action. If up or down is pressed, I change the position of the cursor.

Now, this is an extremely simple solution. Easy enough to implement, though it gets harder as you add sub-menus, and it would take some extra work to make it look "professional."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement