Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d000hg

How do I know what I can do?

You can easily extract from d3d how many streams, simultaneous and texture blend stages are supported on a given card. For instance my GF2 supports 8 texture blend ops and 2 simultaneous textures, which suggests I can use 2 textures in a single pass. Easy. But the GF4 reports 4 simultaneous textures, and I''m sure in DoomIII they''re using like 7 textures at once in a single pass on the top cards ie GF3/4. How is this accomplished? John 3:16

When your application starts up you try setting each of the setups (texture stage states, renderstates, vertex shaders, texture formats etc) you're going to be using in the whole application - testing each set up with ValidateDevice() - if the call fails you try an alternative setup.

This is also much of the what D3DX Effects & Techniques aee intended to solve.

So for example if I knew I'd have some glowing stuff, some alpha test stuff, some opaque stuff, some foggy opaque stuff I'd do something like:

for (j=0; j<numberOfMethodsIKnowForGlowingEffects; ++j)
{
SetRS(), SetTSS(), SetTexture() for glowing effect
if (SUCCEEDED(ValidateDevice())
break;
}

for (j=0; j<numberOfMethodsIKnowForAlphaTestEffects; ++j)
{
SetRS(), SetTSS(), SetTexture() for alpha test effect
break;
}

for (j=0; j<numberOfMethodsIKnowForGlowingEffects; ++j)
{
SetRS(), SetTSS(), SetTexture() for glowing effect
break;
}
for (j=0;j<numberOfMethodsIKnowForFoggyOpaqueEffects; ++j)
{
SetRS(), SetTSS(), SetTexture() for foggy opaque effect
break;
}

Without having millions of caps flags (which would be too tedious to test as well as a massive pain for MS and the IHVs), there's no way other than ValidateDevice for hardware to expose all the exact combinations of states and texture formats its capable of.

[edit: lt for less than signs]

--
Simon O'Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

[edited by - s1ca on July 15, 2002 6:41:36 PM]