GameProgrammingScholarships/Info

Started by
17 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 21 years, 8 months ago
I totally agree with Soulkeeper, as I visited DigiPen for a 2 week programming workshop (level 2) last week, and I talked with many students and staff about their school. Overall, it seems very rigorous and exactly what you need if you really want to become a game programmer. It sounds like putting in a solid 10-13 hour day is nothing out of the ordanary for students there. lol I don''t even think the "good" students (the ones that stick around after the first couple semesters) would have time to get drunk heheh.

Of course, getting a degree from DigiPen will not automatically get you a job as a game programmer, but graduating from there will probably give you one of the best chances out of anywhere at becoming one.

I just hate it how some of the media makes it seem like their homework is to play mmorpg''s all day.

Oh yeah, and that four-year $50,000 figure doesn''t include room & board like a normal college, so its more like $90,000 by the time you add all that in. lol I don''t know how I''m going to afford it...

@Soulkeeper- Hopefully I''ll see ya there next year
Advertisement
elis-cool:

The figures that I posted were for the entire program. If I had gone to a normal school, probably University of Washington I would be paying about $4000 a semester for tuition also. Anyway, Digipen costs, just for tuition, between $6000 and $6500 per semester.

And... I'm one poor college student. No richness coming out of me any time soon.

Brainchild:

I do what I can.

crrrazydan:

Well, I'll be a sophomore next year so I should have some (very little) time to be around in the cafeteria a bit.
Yeah, after figuring all the costs in it does become a much larger number. But I don't have to pay rent cuz I live with my parents. Lucky for me too, because if I didn't I'd never be able to pay it.

[edited by - Soulkeeper on July 17, 2002 2:22:10 PM]
I'm learning, just like the best of us...Ok, now assume a spherical cow... :)
Check out cmu''s etc program. It''s a graduate program, but cmu is a good school no matter what.
http://etc.cmu.edu/about.html

Also the IGDA''s list is good.
http://www.igda.org/schools.htm

Out of curiousity...
quote:Original post by Dirge
Checkout IGDA.com though, they support the beginning developer (somewhat, they''re kind of corrupt it seems).

what makes you say that?

I'd think getting a Computer Engineering degree from a good university is best. This way, if you don't make it in the gaming business, you can program business applications or pretty much anything else software-related, and if that doesn't float your boat, you can design hardware, or work in an Electrical Engineering-related field, although not all Electrical Engineering fields. The fact that you're given the Professional Engineer accrediation puts it way over top Computer Science, in my opinion, in just the number of things you are able to apply for a job in. Just my $0.02.

Oh and, if you have a spare year and some more money, you can get a double-major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, essentially allowing you to work at nVidia or Intel designing chips, and then move to a software company and do software work.

[edited by - UBC_Wiskatos on July 17, 2002 2:49:03 PM]
[email=ubc_wiskatos@hotmail.com" target="_blank" style="width: 10px; height: 10px; background: #fe7a21; overflow: hidden; display: block; margin-bottom: 2px;][/email]Wiskatosxp
I live in a country where game programming is still a whisper in the wind but since I''m a sucker for games, I learned and learned mostly from overpriced books and forums like this.
The only thing for sure is.. I think a major in game programming is a big laugh, you need to be a good computer scientist to be able to program state of the art games so you might want to enroll for comp. science.

I''ve seen alot of programmers saying that they can do this and that but sometimes they don''t even know how to make a good program..
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
I think you missunderstood me, that US $8000 figure was for all four years! not per semester. But over here we dont really live at our unis like you guys do, some do though, but most go flating, so that doesnt include rent/food etc, but from what I hear anyway you guys pay shitloads for rent, I a grand or more per month! thats just sick!

CEO Platoon Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
I dunno about DigiPen personally because there could be lots of people that think they can be a game programmer/artist with a snap when they don''t understand or know enough to do it. Until of course you are near the end or into your 2nd submester. Consider it as an option perhaps even if I don''t get a degree there maybe I could try a class or two. What about any scholarships for a career in this field does anyone know of any or should I just try to get IT scholarships.
Could it be no one has hired Dirge because he''s a cocky egomaniac?
It''s possible.

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare

Dirge - Aurelio Reis
www.CodeFortress.com
Current Causes:
Nissan sues Nissan
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement