Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirge

Blinking Texture...?

It''s diifucult to describe, but I was just playing Soldier of Fortune 2, and although I''ve seen the effect before (in GTA 3 for instance), I''m wondering if anyone here knows how to do it (so I can insitute something similar in my current game project). Basically, it was just an ambulance and it had flashing lights. That is to say, parts that I thought were part of the ambulance textures, the lights on it, where flashing on and off (not like a lens flare, but actually changing color). I can imagine them using multiple textures for the whole model, or just that small piece (the light piece), but whats a better way to do it? Can anyone describe how they accomplished it in a game like Gran Tursimo 3 or Need for Speed for the car lights (like reverse and break lights)? It could work for traffic lights too. I know how they did it in GTA 3 (lens flares), but I think that effect needed to be supplemented. Thanks for any info! "Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare Dirge - Aurelio Reis www.CodeFortress.com

It really depends on the model of the car. If the car is one big mesh, you usually have to use a single texture. So have miltiple car textures with lights on/off etc.

If your car is made from several meshgroups, you can use different materials (textures) on it. This way you only need the light textures to be on/off.

Check out if your 3D modeler can handle multiple materials. Using separate light textures saves a lot of memory I guess.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

I don''t think there is.

Or else you have to have a texture for the car where the headlights are on and the others off and the headlights on and the breaking lights on................. Bla bla bla...
REALLY MANY textures for one car model. Saves ALOT of memory of just have one texture for the car and two for the headlights and breaking lights...

Or have the changing bits as seperate geometry, have different versions with the same texture, but different underlying vertex colours. Swap between version for desired effect.

Also using material colours can achieve the same effect using a single geometry bit.