Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OB1st

Which one I should buy

I found at a local shop GeForce4 ti4600 for $450. and GeForce2 for $120 Knowing that I am a begginer, well progressing though in DX8.x. Which one I shold buy. Note the big differance in the price. Does the price differance worth the additional functionality, can I get away with GeForce 2. if I buy the expensive one, how many years before I have no choice before I upgrade. Thanks for advicing me to invest my money for it''s worth. If love is illusion and hate is real, I would rather be crazy

Neither.
The 4/4600 is "just expensive", the 2 is not feature complete for DirectX 8 :-)

2 ways:
(a) buy the 2 and buy a new one end of the year of the upcoming GF 5 series or
(b) look for a 4/4400 :-)

THONA

Honestly, the GForce3 should be enough. It includes shader support so if you are a beginner, that should be more than enough to work with for a while. Anyways, go to ebay and buy it but make sure it says brand new because there''s always people who''ll try to send broken stuff.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

What kind of GF 2 are you looking at?? thats really expensive for a GF2! Your best bet would be to get a GF 4 ti4200 for aroud $150, or if thats too expensive get a GF 3 ti200 for around $100. Both are DX 8 cards, and both should last for while. Look for the cheapest prices a www.pricewatch.com, brick + mortar stores rip you off when it comes to video cards.

Well presuming you''re going to use shaders soon then get a GF3. But if you''re only beginning with DX, the fixed function pipeline should keep you going for a year. Shaders have only been around like a year - think of all the games that don''t use it (Q3,UT...)

John 3:16