• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gammastrahler

Space Partitioning and Vertex Rendering Speed

This topic is 5995 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i formyself try to optimize vertex submission when rendering. To achieve this, i use either triangle strips or triangle fans, depending on what would be suitable. This works and gives good results, but now the problem: I´m just about to implement a bsp tree to subdivide my world. If i do this, i can no longer do these optimizations! Consider, for example, a very smooth curved top of a cylinder: the best to render this is using a triangle fan. But what is if a bsp plane crosses my cylinder? i´m no longer able to do this! this brings me to the next question: how is this done in quake III ? In a QuakeIII demo source from gametutorials.com, they use exlusively triangle fans to draw the faces. can someone point me in the correct direction? thanks Gammastrahler [edited by - Gammastrahler on July 16, 2002 8:13:46 AM]

Advertisement
Q3 doesn''t split the triangles when a plane intersects, it puts the triangles in more than one node. Leaf nodes then have redundant geometry.

Mike

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!