Space Partitioning and Vertex Rendering Speed

Started by
0 comments, last by Gammastrahler 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi, i formyself try to optimize vertex submission when rendering. To achieve this, i use either triangle strips or triangle fans, depending on what would be suitable. This works and gives good results, but now the problem: I´m just about to implement a bsp tree to subdivide my world. If i do this, i can no longer do these optimizations! Consider, for example, a very smooth curved top of a cylinder: the best to render this is using a triangle fan. But what is if a bsp plane crosses my cylinder? i´m no longer able to do this! this brings me to the next question: how is this done in quake III ? In a QuakeIII demo source from gametutorials.com, they use exlusively triangle fans to draw the faces. can someone point me in the correct direction? thanks Gammastrahler [edited by - Gammastrahler on July 16, 2002 8:13:46 AM]
Advertisement
Q3 doesn''t split the triangles when a plane intersects, it puts the triangles in more than one node. Leaf nodes then have redundant geometry.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement