• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spat

HDC Rendering in DirectDraw

This topic is 5915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using DirectDraw to try to create a side-scrolling flying game in which you can blowup terrain, similar to the DOS game, Chopper Commando. To accomplish this goal, I create an offscreen surface, get its HDC, and use GDI''s LineTo function. Since I only perform this operation once, I don''t expect to take a huge performance hit. When I display this terrain (which is currently a series of about 200 /\''s) at any given place in the terrain, it displays as expected. (I am using the BltFast function of a DirectDrawSurface). However, if I move the blit to the right, it does not continue to draw the hills, it simply draws the first n parts of the hill, where n is the number of pixels that you moved to the right. If I continue to move to the right, it ends up drawing a line of these broken pieces--the last n pixels again and again--until I get to the end of the surface. In my analysis, I have: - Made sure that there were no DirectX errors returned by any of the DirectX functions (of course). - Checked the LineTo function to make sure that it wasn''t failing. - Outputted the points to a log file to determine that these points were actually getting drawn. If there are any game purists out there who would like to assist me with this hair-ripping out problem, I would really appreciate it.

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!