Where to start?

Started by
24 comments, last by Warabit 21 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone i am a newbie.I know Visual Basic,and was wondering where to begin making games.I am so newbieish i dont know howto make a simple Tetris game.So could someone help me out?i would appriciate it.
Advertisement
Learn DirectDraw
You should learn C++ too, you can search basic tutorials and DirectX or OpenGL tutorials.
ok im on it
would it be a better to do C then C++ or just C?
ok so let me get this strait i need to know Directx,C++,andDirectdraw?

Whats Directx and Dirextdraws purpose?What do they alow you to do?
You''re best starting off with simple text programs, printing things to the screen, guessing games, and the likes of that.

Next step is often setting up the display using DirectDraw (tutorials are in MSDN/Platform SDK/Graphics & multimedia/DirectX), then learning to program pong.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
DirectX does many different things.

It includes DirectDraw (for 2D graphics), DirectSound (for sound), DirectInput (for keyboards and joysticks etc) and Direct3D, DirectPlay (network) and probably some more I have forgot.

-------------Ban KalvinB !
You don''t have to learn C first to learn C++. I say just go straight for C++, it''s nice and classy.

Things are not what they are.
Em, you would probably have a hard time getting you hands wet in DirectDraw. DirectDraw is no more - it''s NOT in the latest version of DirectX (DirectX 8.1) which is the SDK you download from Microsoft''s site. But do not despair - you can do it all with DirectX 8.1 (and more).

So I would suggest the following course of actions:

1. Learn C++ first (for instance get the books "C++ Primer" by Lipmann and "Accelerated C++" by Moo & Koenig)

2. Download the newest DirectX SDK version from MS''s site.

3. Get some documentation for that particular version (e.g. the documentation you get with the SDK, or a book).

The best way to accelerate a Win9x machine is at 9.81m/s2
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement