Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

josemarin

Controling the scene quality

Hi! I''ve seen in a game demo that you could set the image quality(low, med, high). I think this deals on polygon smoothness. Do you know how to do something like switch(mSceneQuality){ case LOW: //... break; case MED: //... break; case HIGH: //... break; }; I''ve tryind to do this with glEnable(GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH) and glHint(GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH_HINT, GL_NICEST), but doesn''t works!

I think for image quality you could just do what you usually do for LOD with models. You could have three different versions of the same model, one thats hi-quality, one thats mid-quality, and one thats lo-quality. Hi-quality has the most poly''s, lo-poly the least.

Polygon Smoothing is for anti-aliasing, to make the edges look less jagged. If there is an option for it, it will probably say "Anti-aliasing" specifically.

If it''s just an "image quality" control (slightly vague eh?) it''s probably for either:
a) Texture Size. Bigger = more detail, but more memory and it''s slower to use.
Or,
b) the use of LOD. Objects further away switch to less detailed models, can''t see the details anyways. This is also done with textures. Then agian, if you can run the whole thing with perfect models, who needs it?

------------
aud.vze.com - The Audacious Engine <-- It''s not much, yet. But it''s mine... my own... my preciousssss...
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155