Enumeration?

Started by
11 comments, last by TearsKnight 21 years, 9 months ago
Well, a few days ago I finally decided to try to learn C++. So I went out to my local Walden Books to find books about it. I bought this book called SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, simply because it looked like it would be the most beneficial. So anyway, I''m a complete newb to C++ (I''m on day 3!) and I understand it so far (I would hope the first few days would be simple!), and then the author throws this "enumeration" thing at me.... And I re-read the section over and over again, but I still don''t understand it... Could somebody help me out, with a better explantion, or an example? Even if you can''t, thanks anyway.
Advertisement
An enumeration is a way to enumerate (look it up) choices.

As the name implies, it NUMERATES (gives numbers to) the choices.

Let''s say you wanted to store your favorite kind of fruit. You could store it in a string, but that takes up more space, and takes longer to test for equality. Instead, you could do this:

enum fruit_type { apple, pear, orange, plum, grape };fruit_type myFavoriteFruit;myFavoriteFruit = pear;if(myFavoriteFruit == grape){    cout << "Ewww, grapes.\n";}  

What''s going on there is that the compiler transparently assigns an integer to each: 0 for apple, 1 for pear, 2 for orange, etc. Then you can use those constants for both assignment and equality.
So, if the system puts out the constant equal to "myFavoriteFruit", one output would be written to the screen, but if another constant from the enumerator was reported, it would write something different to the screen? Thanks.
Just thought that I would add this, (it may be helpful).

I always add a numoftypes to the end of an enumeration
ie.

enum fruit_type{apple, pear, orange, plum, grape,num_fruit_types};

Now num_fruit_types will always be equal to the number of "actual" items in your enumeration (as long as you keep it LAST in the list).

TearsKnight,
I have a lot of books on C++, and one book in particular helped understand how to use enumerations in practical apps and games. I will send you the source code of a card game example. In case you were wondering... it uses enumerations for the suits and for the face cards.
ie.
enum suit_type{ hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades};

you can also start enumerations at higher numbers if you don't want it to start at 0 for some reason. like the face cards you would want the jack to start out at 11, the queen 12 and so on.
(I might get the syntax wrong here, I'll check later)

enum card_type{ 11,jack,12,queen,13,king,14,ace};

[edited by - zenassem on July 16, 2002 2:10:03 PM]
~Zen
i dont like to read books on programming.I learned Visual Basic(soon ill learn C++)by buying a CD from cdlearning.com
its really great you barely have to read anything ,just put on you headfones and 2 different people(male and female)walk you through everything with Examples on everything they talk about.
the only setback is its $50 but ive bought the cd for HTML and Visual and i plan to buy C and C++ when school starts.
Using the above enum is similar to doing something like this...

int apple = 0;
int pear = 1;
int orange = 2;
int plum = 3;
int grape = 4;

...but much much nicer and less error-prone.

Sneftel''s good example prints out "Ewww, grapes." if the variable myFavouriteFruit is equal to grape. If it''s not equal to grape, nothing is printed (i.e. not something else).

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
zenassem - the correct syntax for your last example:

enum card_type{ jack = 11, queen = 12, king = 13, ace = 14};

Unless something in the langauge changed on me within the last year. o.O

--------------------------
"Facing terror isn''t half as fun as sharing it" -- Bun-bun
--------------------------{ Arena: Resurrection, my text-based RPG/Mortal Kombat-like game }{ A Look Into The World Of Arena II, a collection of short stories about characters in Arena II }
Thanks creation! Yes that''s the CORRECT syntax that I was trying to pull out of my brain.
~Zen
Well, I think I understand it now. So it''s just a convenience type thing? Thanks.
quote:Original post by siaspete
...but much much nicer and less error-prone.

nahh...
It just increases the chance of bugs, and decreases readabillity...

void func(bool useGrapes, bool dontUseOranges) {  ...}  

now here you can not realy understand the meaning, of a function call, unless you look at the name of the paramenters, or use defs, like:

#define USEGRAPES true
#define DONTUSEGRAPES false

but then, a programmer unfamiliar with the function might, by mistake, put USEGRAPES (or true) in the dontUseOranges paramenter and it then has the opposite meaning...

now...

enum UseOfGrapes {  GrapesUse,  NoGrapesUse};enum NoUseOfApples {  NoAppleUse,  AppleUse};void func(UseOfGrapes useGrapes, NoUseOfApples useApples) {  ...}  

now here, if you put GrapesUse in the useApples paramenter, the compiler will spit out an error on compiletime, intead of a bug at runtime!

So, enums is your friend, so use them whenever it''s possible!
Don't Temp Fate..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement