What exactly is MFC?

Started by
25 comments, last by d000hg 21 years, 9 months ago
WTL is being phased out...
Advertisement
Was it ever officially phased in?

"The word and works of God is quite clear, that women were made either to be wives or prostitutes."
Martin Luther
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Can you use MFC just a little bit? Like for your message handler and dialogs & controls, but then do everything else with plain DX/win32?

John 3:16
For my terrain editor I want a floating toolbar, consisting of many buttons each with a picture rather than text. When passing the cursor over, I want the bar at the bottom of the screen to say e.g "Paints current texture to map".
What is that last part called? Is this easy without MFC?

I have a big problem with the MSVC help, in that all the windows controls give MFC stuff when you look at them in the index. Bummer.

What exactly is classwizard? I tried using it in my win32 project and it blathered on about adding new classes when I created a dialog. What was the class it created for a button for exactly?

John 3:16
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
WTL is being phased out...
well anyway, porting between wtl and mfc(as a last resort) would probably not be too hard, since they are very similar

I know this is off-topic a little but I'll ask anyways. Is .NET an alternative solution to MFC and if so, how much longer do you think MFC will be around for?

[edited by - MagTDK on July 17, 2002 11:09:46 PM]
d000hg, I think what you want is just a plain old static window. You can make a child window by putting a CreateWindow() in your WM_CREATE message with the class name being "static" and window flags as only WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE, and if you want to change the text you could use the SendMessage(). It's all in the MSDN (like everyone always says ^_~ ) Look in the index for the function names and you should be good to go.

And in regards to MFC, I'm not an expert on it or anything but I feel like I'm cheating if I use it. Personally I like good old Win32 code =)

"Great nations built on the bones of the dead with mud and straw, blood and sweat, you know your worth when your enemies praise your architecture of aggression" - Megadeth

[edited by - MajorShredd on July 18, 2002 5:49:30 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement