UML -- uh yay, or nay

Started by
2 comments, last by Lucidquiet 21 years, 9 months ago
Well, I''m just curious what people think on this -- the would be supervisors, designers, graphics programmers, what have you. How many of you out there use UML all the time, or at least for design/analysis (whatever) and how many of you think its a neccessary evil... how many get headaches just thinking about it. L- " ''No one has control -- control is just a fantasy. And being human is difficult.'' "
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Advertisement
If I could convince more people around here to use it I would. But they all see it as extra work that isn''t needed. It shows in their work.
Done right, UML always decreases the amount of work and increases the quality of work. Done wrong, the converse is true.

Too many managers think of UML as a process; they require diagrams of every type from their designers. That leads to 80% of the diagrams being obvious and useless.

Ya see, UML isn''t a tool; it''s a toolbox. If you know how to employ the tools in it, where to use them and where not to, you''ll do well. If you don''t... well... ever tried to fix a leaky faucet with a hammer, a chisel, wrenches, a drill, six screwdrivers, three awls, a plane, and a can of oil?
Would anybody be willing to recommened a good UML book? It would be nice if it would discuss when to use it and why rather than just what each diagram shape is for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement