Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

executor_2k2

Navigating stairs

you put one foot firmly on a stair, then swing the other one over to the next stair (either the one directly above or the once directly below, depending on if you want to go up or down, and excluding times when you are in a rush and take them two at a time; in this case skip one stair in either direction). transfer your weight to the newly-planted foot, and repeat this process with your other foot. continue as such until you get to your destination.

I think i''m right in saying that most games simply take the easy way out when it comes to stairs. Slap a nice ramped object (not one thats rendered of course) over the top of the steps and the character can pretty much glide up them problem free, add a bit of bob to the characters movement or maybe a stairclimbing judder and it''ll pass itself off fine.

I think UT2003 actually does it properly ie. the feet land on the steps and you do actually walk up them. There aren''t many, if any, more that do it that way though but if you feeling adventureous it''d be a nice touch, not much point if your doing a first person perspective though.

I don''t know how hard it is, but I remember that the resident evil games couldn''t do it at all. Whenever the player moved up/down stairs you got to watch an exciting stair movie!

----------------------------
I HATE COLLISION DETECTION!!

Hee hee, yeah.

I think in CodeVeronica you could walk up short flights of steps but i guess a short section would be easier to cope with, as long as your feet are landing in roughly the right place for the first step they won''t get to unsynchronised after a few paces. Long staircases might look messy though unless you want to spend the time/processor power to work things out nicely.

You could use a moderatly sized sphere, this should produce the effect of going up stairs simply by "rolling" up them. So long as you have sufficent forwards velocity.

Note: you could use a round ended cylinder for the same effect.

There is an article on Gamasutra about how this kind of thing was handled in MDK2. Basically, if the player bumps into something that is under a certain height, he can just step on it (like stairs, slight raises in the floor, etc). If it is above a certain height, the player can jump up to try to climb it. Anyway, check the article for more information.