free cad that suports textures?

Started by
7 comments, last by colinisinhere 21 years, 9 months ago
lly need one that can apply textures and save the object... thanks
Advertisement
I don''t think you really want a CAD program. Those are used for engineering and architectural stuff.

What I think you REALLY want is a free modeling program. Look into Milkshape and Blender.
ok... ive tried milkshape... are there any tutorials on how to do textureing and what is the best format to export in (that isnt too hard to render in openGL)

also... milkshape is 31 day trial... is there a way around that?
quote:Original post by colinisinhere
ok... ive tried milkshape... are there any tutorials on how to do textureing and what is the best format to export in (that isnt too hard to render in openGL)

They have links to tutorials on their site.

As far as getting around their trial period, there is only one answer you''re going to get from these boards: register the software. It''s extremely cheap to do so, and it''s well worth it.

RomSteady - Able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
quote:Original post by colinisinhere

ya.. send the guy 20 dollars

20 bucks?!?! WOW!... (i was thinking around a thousand... lolo)
... But i use Metasequoia (http://www1.sphere.ne.jp/mizno) for modeling
is there a good way to import a mesh from meta to milkshape?

thanks
the way around the trial is easy. purchase the software, its cheap especially for what it does (supports nearly all popular game model formats). that only is worth the registration fee.

if you cant afford/cant pay/whatevere your reason, search the net for other free modelers (like zmodeller).

formats like md2 are simple to read. dxf is also pretty basic, but being a text based format with a more flexible structure then md2 makes it more doffiuclt to handle then a md2 model.

if you truly want software that fits your needs for free, you will have to create it yourself. most freeware apps are limited due to the author only implementing features he needs, stays away from complex stuff, and overall is developing it for himself. other times freeware apps will be robust but have somewhat confusing gui and limited exporting/importaing options. mainly because they allow you to create your own export/import scripts (ie blender).

blender is great software, especially for texturing. it supports export to dxf, thus should be able to handle textures to some extent. of course you could create your own format and write and import and export script for it to use it in blender.
i cant find a download for blender... where can i get it?
i saved a dxf in meta and opened it in milkshade and the faces are all screwy... but when i open it in rhino it is fine... how can i fix this?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement