Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlamePixel

Finding a 3D modeling program...

What do all of you guys use for a 3D modeler? I searched for a couple weeks and discovered Blender, but to my dismay, it did not include a .x file exporter. Is there any way to export/import .x files? Or do I need a different program? If so... what 3D modeling programs that suit the needs of DX developement are available? (BTW, I am a cheapskate, are there any free ones?) - FlamePixel

Milkshape is nice. 3D Studio max is nice but it''s too expensive and when I tried it, it was slow. 3D canvas is nice also. I''ve heard stories that Blender is VERY good once you get to know it but if you''re not into seriously learning it, then don''t go with it. One more thing, creating a custom modeler is always an option or at least some type of world/model editor is helpful.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

hi

3dsmax is perhaps the fastest and most efficient modeller i''ve used!

slow?
explain, hey?

if you can get the model into a common format (like 3ds) there''sa great tool called 3dsconv in the directX SDK

die or be died...i think

quote:

3dsmax is perhaps the fastest and most efficient modeller i''ve used!

slow?
explain, hey?

Well it takes me 5+ seconds to start up. Maybe it doesn''t on other computers. Also, once it''s running I find it''s reaction time slower than less-"complicated" modelers. Of course if you want to get something done, you''ll have a fast computer and won''t mind it if it does. You''re right about it being efficient. I never ownded it because of it''s price but a few of my friends have it.

quote:

if you can get the model into a common format (like 3ds) there''sa great tool called 3dsconv in the directX SDK

You''re right, 3ds is a good format to use. It has a lot of functionality in it. Plus like you said, there''s a conversion tool for it for converting to the .x format. I still say however that creating a custom format is overall better when it''s finished.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

Thanx for all of the replies guys. I have already spent about a year with blender and am pretty good with it... but as i said i don''t know how to export to .x files. 3D Studio Max is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for my tastes ( I am a cheapskate ). I have considered buying milkshape ( its only $20 ) after all. I will check on ZModeler. But since i am already good at blender, any ideas on exporting to .x from it would be greatly appriceated ( how do you spell that?).

Thanx again,
-FlamePixel

Dacris -

Are you willing to shareyour x-file exporter?

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

[edited by - thedo on July 17, 2002 3:28:00 PM]

The new trueSpace (v6) is pretty good - I''ve had a chance to play with it the last couple of months, and it''s got a lot of cool features (draw panels, bones/tendons/skins, nurbs, texture baking, etc). If you haven''t used ts before, then it''s a little hard getting used to, however. Download the demo at caligari''s web site and see if you like it.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX

Milkshape is the way to go as far as x file exporting goes. I learned how to use most of it within a week and there''s alot of tutorials out there on how to use it. It was 20 bucks well spent. Perfect if you are modeling.

It does x file
Quake
HalfLife
3ds

plus many more formats. I want to remember about 20 different formats Milkshape exports to.

Paladin