What can be used to complement OpenGL?

Started by
23 comments, last by Fonz 21 years, 9 months ago
Hey, I''ve been looking at game programming for a while now and Im starting to feel its time to move on from text based games. I know how to use OpenGL to some extent. I was wondering what other open source librarys are out there for sound etc? Something to go with OpenGL. I gave directX a good look over but the more I look into it the more detered I get. plus I''ve heard OpenGL is faster. cheers, Fonz
Advertisement
OpenGL is not faster. You gotta be careful you don''t start a flame war...

To answer your question, here are a few good libraries to compliment OGL:

SDL: This has sound, input, windowing/GUI functions, and probably quite a few other nifty things.

OpenAL: An audio library made to be similar to OpenGL in ease of use and functionality.

HawkNL: The Hawk network library, for all you''re networking/multiplayer needs.

DevIL: This is a good image loading library, so you don''t have to write you''re own BMP/TGA/JPG/etc loader. Very handy.

I think that should cover all the bases. Hope it helps!

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
Buzzy covered the basics, but I just want to add FMOD for sound. It seems to have more support than OpenAL, better documentation (I figured out FMOD by looking at the function declarations... I looked through the OpenAL docs and it appeared to be much more complex). It doesn''t used an OGL-like syntax, but it is easily configured.

In case your interested, I posted a sample FMOD MP3-playing code a few weeks ago in this thread:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=102851

And I am also currently using DevIL for image loading. Really handy, and it has an OGL-like syntax.
Hey thanks,

Thats all i''ll ever need :-) .. for the next 6 months anyhoo

cheers,
Fonz
quote:Original post by Erunama
Buzzy covered the basics, but I just want to add FMOD for sound. It seems to have more support than OpenAL, better documentation (I figured out FMOD by looking at the function declarations... I looked through the OpenAL docs and it appeared to be much more complex). It doesn''t used an OGL-like syntax, but it is easily configured.

OpenAL probably has more flexibily in the long term than FMOD (you can work your sound system to your needs), but FMOD is probably perfect if all you want to do it play back a few sounds etc.

OpenAL was used with Solider of Fortune 2 and will be used in the up and coming UT2K3 (at least, as far as all the info I''ve seen on it says *koff*2leakeddemos*koff*) so it cant be bad at all
ALLEGRO

http://alleg.sourceforge.net
http://allegrogl.sourceforge.net

nuff said

Altho many people don''t like it, I use DirectSound and DirectInput in conjunction with OpenGL. Works for me

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][GD Emporium][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

quote:Original post by Fonz
What can be used to complement OpenGL?

Well, she likes words like efficient, nicely written, elegant, easy to use, and fun. =D

(sorry, I had to. =D)

-=Lohrno
quote:Original post by smarechal
Altho many people don''t like it, I use DirectSound and DirectInput in conjunction with OpenGL. Works for me

OpenAL pretty much sits over the top of DirectSound on Windows anyways I belive, but it allow for the code to be more portable, granted if being portable isnt important to you then its not a problem

As for input, aside from directinput or SDL are there any other libs for input?
a X-platform standalone input system might be worth while someone making (I know one exists in SDL, but having one to use apart from that might be handy)

quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
a X-platform standalone input system might be worth while someone making (I know one exists in SDL, but having one to use apart from that might be handy)

The problem with making an input library is that most systems bind the input to the ''window'' of a program too much. SDL gets around this because it creates the ''window'' as well. I''ve thought about portable input libraries a lot, and I couldn''t see how one could be made standalone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement