Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cardinals33

Problems initializing Directinput

Hello all. I am trying to add DirectInput code to a game engine. I am using the DirectX 8 SDK. My problem is when a USB joystick such as the Microsoft Sidewinder is attached. When I have this joystick hooked up the DirectInput8Create function fails and returns an error. If I unhook the joystick it loads just fine and configures the keyboard to be used. I have tried this on more than one computer and the initial function fails everytime. The joystick itself works perfectly in any game or program I have used. I am missing something that could cause this error? The function is not even trying to initialize a joystick, just DirectInput itself. I have tested my DirectInput code out on regular joysticks that plug into the back of my sound card and they work just fine so there does not seem to be a problem with the code itself. Thanks for the help.

quote:

...DirectInput8Create function fails and returns an error.

What error does it return? Is there any info in the debug output? Do you have the debug runtimes installed? Is the debug level set to maximum in the control pannel?

Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates