Off Topic - Funny stuff in DX DLLs

Started by
9 comments, last by Evil Bill 21 years, 9 months ago
I was disassembling DDraw.dll, and i noticed a few... "interesting" strings such as: "********** WANT TO SEE SOMETHING _REALLY_ SCARY? **********" and "********** GET READY FOR A SURPRISE **********" and "Hey, you didn''t set DDSURFACEDESC.ddpfPixelFormat.dwSize to sizeof(DDPIXELFORMAT)! Do that." Anyone else got any interesting things they''ve found in MS DLLs? Anyone actually seen those messages in the debug output? Steve Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Advertisement
The fact that IIRC a function in D3DX uses GLUT

[Amusing when I think of all the API zealots dissing one or the other]

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

I remember on a security site they had an advisory for a backdoor password in front page that was "Netscape engineers are weenies!" spelled backwards

A few games have interesting strings like cheats, easter eggs and game types/multiplayer that hasn''t been implemented yet

Where did you find those comments in the code? around what functions? I guess it would be hard to find function names because it uses COM

D3DX uses a ton of open source libraries to do everything, thats why is is so freakin'' huge!
I found those strings in the actual DLL. Open up DDraw.dll in a hex editor, or try to disassemble it and you''ll see where. I didn''t bother trying to trace what function displays those messages, because that''d take hours and it was 2am here

Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
well... I found a spelling mistake in ddraw.dll...

"Not an ALLOW256 palette - forcing back and white"

Here''s something from dsound.dll

"There are only 360 degrees in a circle"
Lol, i like the degrees in the circle one

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Here''s something I found in the D3D8.DLL
"Driver failed to create the requested pixel shader. Please contact your friendly video card manufacturer to inquire why this problem was encountered."

Notice the word "friendly"
How did you dissasemble DDRAW.DLL?

------------------------------
BASIC programmers don''t die, they just GOSUB and don''t return.
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
I''ve got a dissasembler. I can;t remember where i got it from, but its quite good. I''ve only got the .exe - i deleted all the text files and stuff, but if you want, i''ll e-mail you it.

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Okay, my email address is: kmstrong@yahoo.com. On a sidenote, i tried to dissassemble in MASM, and it didn''t work, it complained about some size limit being exceeded.

------------------------------
BASIC programmers don''t die, they just GOSUB and don''t return.
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement