OpenGL simulator drivers...

Started by
7 comments, last by Wyrframe 21 years, 9 months ago
I do not intend, nor do I want, to start an OpenGL vs. DirectX war, here... But I''m using Windows XP, and Microsoft is a bitch. Microsoft decided, while developing Win2K and WinXP, that OpenGL is inferior to DirectX (which I highly disagree with), and so they "stopped supporting" it. What this means is that the drivers that come pre-packaged with WindowsXP do not support hardware acceleration of OpenGL. I''ve tried downloading the drivers for my video card, and they are buggy. So, I''m looking to you all for help... I''ve heard of these, but don''t know where to find them; where I can find "OpenGL simulation drivers", drivers which mimick the functionality of OpenGL, but actually use Direct3D for their rendering? I know they are slow, I know they are inefficient; I just need them until my video card manufacturer gives me better, authenticated drivers for WinXP. Thanks in advance!
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Advertisement
What kind of video card do you have?

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
ELSA Gladiac 900, GeForce3, 64MB DDR ram.

I can''t find ELSA''s site, anymore... they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth in the past month...
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Use NVIDIA''s reference drivers, the Detonator drivers. Top quality. All NVIDIA video cards are recommended to use them.

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
Tried ''em. They were always the best on any other machine I''ve used, but they''re buggy on this one...

I know the reference drivers are beautiful, been using them since my 16MB TNT2, but they just don''t work on this computer, for whatever reasons...
Okay, the only wrapper I found that translate OpenGL to DirectX is SciTech GLDirect, and its not free. You could do a bit of searching yourself, and maybe find one that is free. The reason they''re not as common as DX to OGL is because DX is proprietary, and that''s the one of the only ways to get it to work on other operating systems. By converting all the calls to a cross platform API.

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
Surely using a wrapper would kill performance? You should also try and experiment with all versions of the detanator drivers, the most stable would be 12.41''s or the 21.83''s, and make sure you download the XP ones
if you cant get detonater drivers working i seriously recommend you fdisk and start over
i agree, there should be no reason why the det. drivers dont work, I''ve used ''em with 4 gfx cards, 3 mobo types and 4 OSes (Win98, ME, 2K and Linux) and see ''em used without problems on XP.

If they dont work I suspect something else in your system is unstable and needs taking care of.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement