OpenGL 1.4...

Started by
17 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 21 years, 9 months ago
It''s in the front page. They bought SGI patents and they are going to charge for it. It''s suppose to be an open standard and if I''m not wrong, it''s in opensource development for X system as well. The hardware vendors are going to get hit. I was looking forward to 2.0. MS is attacking everything at once it seems. The use of OSS in the US Government, graphics hardware vendors, now OpenGL.
People are not inherently evil, but all of them are guillty of something...
Advertisement
You guys looking forward to the NV30 and NV40? Take a look at the ATI R300. While I''m sure the NV30 will outperform it when it comes out (unless ATI pulls off a miracle with their drivers... ), the R300 will be out very soon. Look at the numbers! It''s ~1.5 to ~2.25 times faster than the Geforce4 Ti4600! With brand new, redesigned beta drivers! Sorry for going off topic .

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
quote:Original post by cdtrrrst
It''s in the front page. They bought SGI patents and they are going to charge for it. It''s suppose to be an open standard and if I''m not wrong, it''s in opensource development for X system as well. The hardware vendors are going to get hit. I was looking forward to 2.0. MS is attacking everything at once it seems. The use of OSS in the US Government, graphics hardware vendors, now OpenGL.

You''re misinterpreting what''s happened. It''s not nearly as bad as people make it out to be when they only read the headlines of the articles and not the ARB notes.

1. Microsoft doesn''t have patents to ''OpenGL'', but they might have patents to two extensions (the way OpenGL chooses to handle vertex and pixel programs)
  2. Microsoft isn''t ''charging'' for it, they just want rights to use technology that OpenGL has in trade. Whether it''s a good thing to agree or not is another matter.
  3. OpenGL 2.0 is just fine.

quote:Original post by Buzzy
You guys looking forward to the NV30 and NV40? Take a look at the ATI R300. While I''m sure the NV30 will outperform it when it comes out (unless ATI pulls off a miracle with their drivers... ), the R300 will be out very soon.

if those numbers they have on that website are even close to correct with regards to the R300 vs NV30 then i dont think any amount of driver magic is going to make up for difference in hardware speeds.

Also, it looks like Nvidia have desided to go with a high prescision render (128bit), which if they can follow thought to the GPU and keep the maths correct will even give the ''correct lighting'' which the ATi cards had over the Nvidia cards for a while.

Dont get me wrong, the ATI card looks very nice indeed, but if the NV30 isnt too far behind it (a month or 2) ppl might hold out to see what the comparison is between them, and I have a feeling the NV30 might well spank the R300 in a few areas, but some of that might well depend on if they go with 256 or 512bits on the architecture and if they go 128 or 256 on the RAM or not.

but, in the case of 16 textures per pass, thats going to be rather nice I feel and a hell of a step up from the 4 on current GF3 and 4s

quote:Original post by _the_phantom_

but, in the case of 16 textures per pass, thats going to be rather nice I feel and a hell of a step up from the 4 on current GF3 and 4s

Provided that using more than 4 or so doesn;t slow the hardware to a crawl like using 8 lights can do.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
Pardon my ignorance... but when the word ''licensing'' and ''Microsoft'' comes up on the same page... well, things get messy...
People are not inherently evil, but all of them are guillty of something...
About the ATi Radeon 9700/9000, there's a great review of them at www.tomshardware.com. You should check them out. It's a shame they couldn't post the 9700's test results, but they could post the 9000 Pro's, and it's almost always a bit slower than the Radeon 8500. But this isn't that bad, considering the 9000 Pro is $150 (the really cool thing is that the 9000 is $109), but I might have seen the Radeon 8500 for that price...

.elendil67

[edited by - elendil67 on July 18, 2002 10:27:23 PM]
When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
I look at all this, and this is my specs:

8MB SIS 530 with no GeForce chip or anything, just a crappy SiS one. All because my dad had to go and buy a comp without asking me first.
"Make a world of your own" - Kurt Cobain
quote:Original post by cdtrrrst

take it easy. okey, i love opengl you love opengl, johnc loves opengl, everybody loves opengl, but its only api and not that much different than direct or fx glide or other shits. And as others said, OpenGL is not going to go off, it will go forward every moment and so you (i think)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement