• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qingrui

err: 'GLX' extension missing... ???

This topic is 5990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

laterly i''m porting my program to linux and i switched from wgl to the glX functions. i''m new to linux. whenever i call a glX function, it gives me the err message: ''GLX'' extension missing... what does it mean? how to solve it?

Advertisement
my graphic card is GeForce2 MX
:D
why glX is not installed by default? are linux programers now using other tools? what should i do? many many thanks!

GLX is not installed by default because you don''t "need" GLX to run OpenGL applications, even though 99% of todays linux OpenGL applications use GLX.

You''re lucky because you have a nVidia card, and as far as I know nobody supports linux better than nVidia.
Browse www.nvidia.com, click on ''download drivers'' and go to Linux drivers. Follow the steps to install nVidia drivers for your graphics card. GLX is included in the installation, but don''t install GLX alone. Install both packages that are recommended.
After the installation, restart your X server (or simply reboot your machine) and you will be able to :
1- execute OpenGL applications with hardware acceleration.
2- run the GLX protocol.

Many thanks to nVidia !

Note that this obviously work with nVidia cards only. If later you buy another card (for example an ATI Radeon) you may uninstall current nVidia packages and install ATI packages (but ATI doesn''t support linux as well as nVidia does).

GLX is not installed by default because you don''t "need" GLX to run OpenGL applications, even though 99% of todays linux OpenGL applications use GLX.
it sounds strange. does GLUT run without GLX, and what about SDL? if so, how do they create opengl contexts?
and is the default opengl driver software-only? if i''m going to distribute my program, will i have to tell the users to install the drivers?

quote:
does GLUT run without GLX, and what about SDL? if so, how do they create opengl contexts?

I think that GLUT and SDL both uses GLX since I''ve never been able to run GLUT and SDL applications without GLX.

quote:
and is the default opengl driver software-only?

Yes, and it is the case under Windows too.

quote:
if i''m going to distribute my program, will i have to tell the users to install the drivers?

Obviously! It''s also the same problem with Windows.

From an end-user point of view, the only difference between Linux and Windows is that Windows drivers are easier to find (more widely spread).

I''m comparing Linux to Windows because (I may be wrong but...) you seem to be using Windows more naturally than Linux, as most of us.

till now, i''ve done everything that i can do. i installed the driver, configurated the XF86Config-4, restarted X... but the error ''GLX extension missing'' is still playing with me :-(
it''s not as easy as on Windows at all.

You have installed both packages (NVIDIA_GLX-xx and NVIDIA_kernel-xx) and saved changes into XF86Config-4 and restarted your X server and it still doesn''t work ?

Also, are you sure XF86Config-4 was the right file to modify ? Your linux may use XF86Config. To know this, open /var/log/XFree86.0.log and look at the line beginning with "(==) Using config file:".

May I download your program ? I can test it at home if you want. If your program runs fine on my machine, then that would mean you failed installing nVidia drivers. Otherwise that would mean that it is your program that is not calling GLX correctly.

Can you copy-paste the whole error message (from the time when you enter the command into to shell to the time when the application stops) ?

Have you chacked the folder /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/ to see if there was the file libglx.so.x.y.z ? (where x, y and z represent the version numbers)

This may be a cheap-shot, but what the hell:
Does you XF86Config (or XF86Config-4) file include the line

Load "glx"

in Section "Module"?

Also, look at the X logs. They should say whether the X server actually tries to load the GLX extension, and if so, hopefully it will also say what went wrong. If libglx.so fails to load it could be that the kernel module (NVdriver) is not loaded. Try doing an lsmod and see if NVdriver is included in the output. If not run

modprobe NVdriver

You should configure the system to automatically load NVdriver at startup.

If X loads GLX successfully you should see something similar to this in the X log:

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.2960
Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
(II) Loading extension GLX

If this is what the logs say, but you still get the error, perhaps you're doing something strange when initializing/using GLX?

[edited by - Dactylos on July 18, 2002 11:51:36 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!