• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paladin__

Programming RPG book question

This topic is 5944 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have included the core_system, core_graphics and core_global files in my project and inherited the cApplication with my class called CApp as stated in the book. In the core_global file, I have commented out the headers and things i''m not using, but when I compile, I get a few linking errors. I added d3d8.lib and d3dx8.lib to the linking tab and verified that my DirectX includes and lib files are pointing to the proper directory. I also copied the DirectX 8.1 updates from home.att.net/~rpgbook to the game core folder overwriting the ones that referred to DirectX 8.0. Is there anything that I could try or is there anything I missed? Thanks for any help. I''m excited about this book and I''m finally to where I can start using the core libraries that came with the book, but I have to get it to compile first . Paladin

Advertisement
I''m kinda a beginner myself and i''m horrible when it comes to .lib and .h thingies, hehe. I have it working though after I included all the .lib in the project settings. I think there are like 20 directx .lib files, hehe.

Actually, I was in the same situation as you are Paladin__
However, I got almost everything working now except the
D3DX intersect function but that should be easily fixed
with Jim''s remedy at http://home.att.net/~rpgbook/fixes.htm
- just haven''t gotten down to actually trying it yet.

Like a dummy, I left for work without posting the link errors. I do know they are not to any obvious library, but I will post the error output as soon as I get home.

@sherman, I downloaded the updates at Mr. Adams site, but I seem to be missing some library(s).

I''m just using his System, Graphics and the global header file now. I was going to try and make a simple window and try some simple graphics.

I linked in d3d8.lib, d3dx8.lib. I was going to try a few other libs when I got home, but I know it''s something simple I''m doing/not doing. I''ll post the error output asap.

Thanks for the replies.

Paladin

quote:
Original post by Ahmed Saleh
i wander , why the core Sound doesnt works with me .

AFAIK the Sound core contains some problems. There''s bug -fixes and a new sound core at the book''s site. Check it out...

The best way to accelerate a Win9x machine is at 9.81m/s2

I''m going to play with the code more tonight, but for now,
Here is my lovely error report:

Any Ideas?

Paladin

//report starts here
Deleting intermediate files and output files for project ''DaveTest - Win32 Debug''.
--------------------Configuration: DaveTest - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
Core_Graphics.cpp
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4305: ''='' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4309: ''='' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
Core_System.cpp
WinMain.cpp
App.cpp
Linking...
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectXFileCreate@4
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationKey
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimation
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationSet
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMMesh
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMFrameTransformMatrix
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMFrame
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationOptions
Debug/DaveTest.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

DaveTest.exe - 9 error(s), 38 warning(s)

Dear Paladin__,

Are you sure you have the DirectX 8.1 SDK installed. I used
to have errors like yours because I only had the DirectX 8.0
SDK (although I had the DirectX 8.1 runtime). Anyway, the
only errors I am getting now are:

Core_Graphics.cpp
e:\dxsdk\include\dinput.h: DIRECTINPUT_VERSION undefined. Defaulting to version 0x0800
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4305: ''='' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4309: ''='' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(1124) : error C2660: ''UpdateSkinnedMesh'' : function does not take 2 parameters
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(1280) : error C2660: ''GenerateSkinnedMesh'' : function does not take 5 parameters
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(1788) : error C2660: ''UpdateSkinnedMesh'' : function does not take 2 parameters
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
Core_Network.cpp
e:\dxsdk\include\dinput.h: DIRECTINPUT_VERSION undefined. Defaulting to version 0x0800
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_network.cpp(42) : error C2065: ''DirectPlay8Create'' : undeclared identifier
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_network.cpp(192) : error C2065: ''DirectPlay8AddressCreate'' : undeclared identifier
WinMain.cpp
c:\s3d\s3dserverd3d\winmain.cpp(951) : error C2660: ''D3DXIntersect'' : function does not take 8 parameters
Error executing cl.exe.

S3DServer.exe - 6 error(s), 38 warning(s)

Looks like I have to define DIRECTINPUT_VERSION somewhere and
change those skinned mesh functions according to the errata
at Jim''s site. Wish he fixed the files in the update though
because I am just so lazy ^_~.

@Sherman, dont worry about the DirectInput stuff, it will just default to 8.0.

As for your other errors, the DirectPlay stuff changed some I think, so check his site for the updates to fix those errors.

I just finished the first DirectPlay chapter. You'll get a link error as well because some of the libraries don't exist anymore.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm running DirectX 8.1 unless I installed the wrong SDK. If I find any other clues to my prob, I'll post them.

Why all the warnings though? Warnings never make me feel comfortable. Like I'm missing out on something .

Paladin

UPDATE: My Control Panel DirectX icon indicates that DirectX 8.1 IS installed. Something else is wrong.

[edited by - Paladin__ on July 17, 2002 11:35:35 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!