Programming RPG book question

Started by
54 comments, last by Paladin__ 21 years, 8 months ago
I have included the core_system, core_graphics and core_global files in my project and inherited the cApplication with my class called CApp as stated in the book. In the core_global file, I have commented out the headers and things i''m not using, but when I compile, I get a few linking errors. I added d3d8.lib and d3dx8.lib to the linking tab and verified that my DirectX includes and lib files are pointing to the proper directory. I also copied the DirectX 8.1 updates from home.att.net/~rpgbook to the game core folder overwriting the ones that referred to DirectX 8.0. Is there anything that I could try or is there anything I missed? Thanks for any help. I''m excited about this book and I''m finally to where I can start using the core libraries that came with the book, but I have to get it to compile first . Paladin
Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.
Advertisement
What are the errors?

----------------------------
I HATE COLLISION DETECTION!!
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
I''m kinda a beginner myself and i''m horrible when it comes to .lib and .h thingies, hehe. I have it working though after I included all the .lib in the project settings. I think there are like 20 directx .lib files, hehe.
Actually, I was in the same situation as you are Paladin__
However, I got almost everything working now except the
D3DX intersect function but that should be easily fixed
with Jim''s remedy at http://home.att.net/~rpgbook/fixes.htm
- just haven''t gotten down to actually trying it yet.

_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
Like a dummy, I left for work without posting the link errors. I do know they are not to any obvious library, but I will post the error output as soon as I get home.

@sherman, I downloaded the updates at Mr. Adams site, but I seem to be missing some library(s).

I''m just using his System, Graphics and the global header file now. I was going to try and make a simple window and try some simple graphics.

I linked in d3d8.lib, d3dx8.lib. I was going to try a few other libs when I got home, but I know it''s something simple I''m doing/not doing. I''ll post the error output asap.

Thanks for the replies.

Paladin
i wander , why the core Sound doesnt works with me .
quote:Original post by Ahmed Saleh
i wander , why the core Sound doesnt works with me .

AFAIK the Sound core contains some problems. There''s bug -fixes and a new sound core at the book''s site. Check it out...

The best way to accelerate a Win9x machine is at 9.81m/s2
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I''m going to play with the code more tonight, but for now,
Here is my lovely error report:

Any Ideas?

Paladin

//report starts here
Deleting intermediate files and output files for project ''DaveTest - Win32 Debug''.
--------------------Configuration: DaveTest - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
Core_Graphics.cpp
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4305: ''='' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4309: ''='' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2389) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\_studies\rpg games in directx\chap10\davetest\core_graphics.cpp(2509) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
Core_System.cpp
WinMain.cpp
App.cpp
Linking...
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectXFileCreate@4
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationKey
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimation
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationSet
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMMesh
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMFrameTransformMatrix
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMFrame
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationOptions
Debug/DaveTest.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

DaveTest.exe - 9 error(s), 38 warning(s)
Dear Paladin__,

Are you sure you have the DirectX 8.1 SDK installed. I used
to have errors like yours because I only had the DirectX 8.0
SDK (although I had the DirectX 8.1 runtime). Anyway, the
only errors I am getting now are:

Core_Graphics.cpp
e:\dxsdk\include\dinput.h: DIRECTINPUT_VERSION undefined. Defaulting to version 0x0800
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4305: ''='' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(20) : warning C4309: ''='' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(222) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(1124) : error C2660: ''UpdateSkinnedMesh'' : function does not take 2 parameters
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(1280) : error C2660: ''GenerateSkinnedMesh'' : function does not take 5 parameters
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(1788) : error C2660: ''UpdateSkinnedMesh'' : function does not take 2 parameters
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2386) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2387) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2388) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2507) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4305: ''argument'' : truncation from ''const int'' to ''char''
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_graphics.cpp(2508) : warning C4309: ''argument'' : truncation of constant value
Core_Network.cpp
e:\dxsdk\include\dinput.h: DIRECTINPUT_VERSION undefined. Defaulting to version 0x0800
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_network.cpp(42) : error C2065: ''DirectPlay8Create'' : undeclared identifier
c:\s3d\gamecore\core_network.cpp(192) : error C2065: ''DirectPlay8AddressCreate'' : undeclared identifier
WinMain.cpp
c:\s3d\s3dserverd3d\winmain.cpp(951) : error C2660: ''D3DXIntersect'' : function does not take 8 parameters
Error executing cl.exe.

S3DServer.exe - 6 error(s), 38 warning(s)

Looks like I have to define DIRECTINPUT_VERSION somewhere and
change those skinned mesh functions according to the errata
at Jim''s site. Wish he fixed the files in the update though
because I am just so lazy ^_~.

_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
@Sherman, dont worry about the DirectInput stuff, it will just default to 8.0.

As for your other errors, the DirectPlay stuff changed some I think, so check his site for the updates to fix those errors.

I just finished the first DirectPlay chapter. You'll get a link error as well because some of the libraries don't exist anymore.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm running DirectX 8.1 unless I installed the wrong SDK. If I find any other clues to my prob, I'll post them.

Why all the warnings though? Warnings never make me feel comfortable. Like I'm missing out on something .

Paladin

UPDATE: My Control Panel DirectX icon indicates that DirectX 8.1 IS installed. Something else is wrong.

[edited by - Paladin__ on July 17, 2002 11:35:35 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement