Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hellfire

Help with Threads and Processes

I have a app that generates terrain data and than using directx puts the 3D terrain on a window. I am using MFC to create all my windows. While the terrain infomation is being created and loaded I have a dialog window pop up with a progress bar showing how how much of the loading is down. I do all the generating and loading in for loops. While I am running the functions with the for loops in them all other procces are blocked. All WM_Messeges are blocked until the loading is done. I have tested this many times. I need a way to force the window messages throw, because while I am running the for loops, I can''t move the windows or close them or max or min them. I have used breaks and I know that all the window messeges are just put in the queue and handled after the for loop finishes. Even if there are messege handlers in the for loop. I was thinking using threads would be the answer, but all I really what is for the messeges to be handled while I am running the for loop.

You could use threads, but it might be overkill from what you are saying.

If you just want messages to be processed while you are stuck in a for loop, you could write a function to handle that. We have something like that called "Defer()" which basically looks like this:

void Defer(void)
{
MSG msg;
while(PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE))
{
TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
}
}

So whenever we need to have messages processed during a piece of code that normally takes a long time to execute (such as a large for loop that generates terrain), we just insert this where apropriate. Its not the solution for everything but it might be what you need. Give it a try.

I have tired that problem and it works, sort of. The problem with that is solution is that it takes too long for the message to be handled. I hit the maxize button on the window and it 5 seconds later the window maxizes. I guess what I am saying is that I need way to interrupt the loop, whenever a windows messege goes into the queue, than handle the messege and than go back to the loop.