Starting Programming Team

Started by
14 comments, last by Panax 21 years, 8 months ago
I''d like to start a small game development team. The basic idea behind it will be a learning experience for all, but we will pump some games out as well. I planned on beginning with a simple old school arcade game clone but what we make is totally debatable, and will be discussed and agreeded upon by all members. What we need: Programmers with C++/OpenGL/DirectX experience Artists Sound guys Doc guys whatever else you can offer =P What you need: for programmers: Visual Studio 6 -OR- 7(.NET) for artists: dont care so long as its pretty for docs: MS Office I website, and message board are in the works. Please respond or e-mail me at moridin@adelphia.net PS- please post your skills and experience.
Advertisement
If you agree to do a remake of the Guardian Legend from the NES then I'm in I can help out with DirectX and/or C++ programming or I can handle being a sound guy.

Experience:

C++ ... about a year
DirectX ... about six months

sound ... been playing guitar for a few years and have some audio software and extra hardware for my PC

[edited by - zer0wolf on July 17, 2002 12:03:05 PM]
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
quote:Original post by Panax
I''d like to start a small game development team.

What we need:
Programmers with C++/OpenGL/DirectX experience
Artists
Sound guys
Doc guys
whatever else you can offer =P

Why you want separate programmeres and doc writers ?
Programmers should write most of the docs, they know what they did and how program works.
I''d like to start a small game development team.

What we need:
Programmers with C++/OpenGL/DirectX experience
Artists
Sound guys
Doc guys
whatever else you can offer =P

Why you want separate programmeres and doc writers ?
Programmers should write most of the docs, they know what they did and how program works.
I could try to help out I''m the greatest but if need help I could give it a shot.

As for the type of game it really doesn''t matter to me. Just as long I learn some tricks to game programming is good enough to me.

Experience:
C++: 8 months
Dierct X: one month

As you can see I''m a total newbie. Hope I can help.
When the world has got you down, that's when you strike back and show them who you really are.
Hi
I´ve just emailed you... hope you are letting me join the team and hopefully you will accept OpenGL as the main API for the game

Best regards
Roquqkie
(Mikkel Hempel)
I hate to be the pessimist, but I have yet to see a development team project work well for newbies. I have even tried doing this with one friend (and we live close by), and even with all our planning problems crept in right from the beginning. e.g. which API, Tool building, Documents, Code commenting/style, Naming conventions, Encapsualtion, File Versions. Generally what happens is that even after everyone agrees and a detailed "Design Doc" is written, one person (usually the more knowledgeable programmer), starts writing code like crazy. Then everyone else gets lost and confused trying to decipher how all the code works (especially newbies). This leads to frustration and people start to flake out.
I''m not saying that it can''t be done. But in my oppinion newbies(including myself) need to stick to smaller projects, and do all the coding themselves first. This type of project is more suited to experienced (and I mean people with a few full games under their belt). Anycase, it''s just my oppinion. Best of luck.
~Zen
ok i''m alittle new to the coding stuff but...

I''m a great artist. Lets see i can make graphics like ff10. (Takes me a while but i can). So... i''m only 13 but if you could use me just inform me cause it sounds great.

(My graphics are tight)

Only the eyes of a true player will see what realy beholds the game. Only the eyes of a true player may see the pixels and nothing else. Only the eyes of the true player can see the game, feel the game, be the game. I am a true player. Are you?
Only the eyes of a true player will see what realy beholds the game. Only the eyes of a true player may see the pixels and nothing else. Only the eyes of the true player can see the game, feel the game, be the game. I am a true player. Are you?
totally debatable, and will be discussed and agreeded upon by all members.

From my experience "totally debatable" translates into "not gonna happen". No group functions properly without a leader, without a goal.

I also agree with zenassem''s description of a programming group. From the groups I''ve seen/participated in, his description is quite accurate.

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm
I suggest one thing.....
If we make a team, we should do the modules TOGETHER.
There''s no point for everyone to do their own thing....
We should go through each module the programming, input, and sound.

This way we all get an understanding and EXPERIENCE of what is going and how to program each one.

This is a suggestion.... but believe me I am part of two groups and unless you know what you are doing (meaning you are NOT a newbie) it gets very confusing very quickly.

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement