Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cliffski

German games market questions

I have a strategy game here: STARLINES INC That I reckon would do very well in Germany. I have sold quite a few copies all over the place, but the game is only promoted and sold in an english language version. Its ready for localisation (more or less) and I know there are some companies that will translate it for money, but I was more interested in getting coverage in the German games press. I think there are quite a few english-speaking German gamers that don't know about my game, whom I could attract to it if I got reviewed by a German games website. Trouble is I can't find any! and even if I could, I dont speak German! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on who to email or how to get coverage in German magazines or websites? Any good URLS on the topic, or experience of having an indie game translated? Its quite a text-heavy game (lots of menus). Thanks http://www.positech.co.uk [edited by - cliffski on July 17, 2002 5:12:33 PM] [edited by - cliffski on July 17, 2002 5:13:29 PM]

You might want to edit your post - a bit hard to read. Anyways, I don''t know how to help you, maybe search for some German game sites and see if any gamers are interested... or use a text translator (ROFL).

Wow,does my last post mess up your website format too?
Anyway - here the correct version:

You might check out Computerbild Spiele and Bravo Screenfun
Both are most mainstream & stupid and so have the highest print run. I am not sure if Bravo screenfun often features a cover-cd. They contacted me for a freeware game once. Computerbild Spiele always comes with a game cd.

NOOOO!!!

lakibuk,

nah, not those two!!

those are no real game magazines, the first one is for people
who have trouble to turn their computer on themselves, (maybe they don't even know how to spell "computer")
and the second is for kiddies.

IMHO best are pc-games & pc-joker (can't find url of joker), pc-action isn't bad either.

Edit:

BTW, cliffski:

Your game crashes on my machine:
DURON at 700 MHz, 1/4GB RAM, GF2-MX200, original SB-Live! (some old games don't like it), Win98se, DX8.1
I think that should be enough, your readme says a P1-166 was enough...

Any idea?

It is now for sure you can throw away your computer

[edited by - UnshavenBastard on July 18, 2002 9:37:24 AM]

I may as well translate a few paragraphs for you, if you think
it might be better to write the magazines in German or if you
don''t understand certain statements on their websites.

Isn''t PC-Joker dead? Anyway, the absolutely best magazine is Gamestar. And yes, every German magazine (maybe Computerbild Spiele not *g*) is able to speak english!

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!

Sorry to discourage you Cliffsky, but germans are still in stone-age in some ways. For example Shareware has no chance (0%) to be mentioned in game magazines. It has a VERY bad reputation - no idea why (especially games, utilities a bit better).

Well, ask good ol' Jester. I am just negotiating with a german (international) publisher that actually pays an advance (large) (you hear me Alex? ). When I have the contract and its ok, I am gonna ask him what I get for referring.

Beside that I know about a magazine publisher. You could expect $1500 for the fullversion on all three magazines. If someone is interested he can email me at contact@nbsd.de. Note though that I would take $500 of this for referring. Actually you would sign with me a publishing agreement for magazines in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (until 1st January 2003). This offer is for everyone with a decent game.
(Btw this are non-game magazines, that's why Shareware has a chance. ).

[edited by - jester101 on July 18, 2002 12:11:10 PM]

What Jester101 says is right in a way.

Don''t expect your game to be covered in an article longer than
a quarter of a page. I think that some magazines sometimes
publish shareware on their cover CD''s, though.

I''ve never seen a shareware game on a game magazine CD in Germany.

Translation is a must on some (most?) download sites (few there are anyway and nothing like CNet). I don''t have figures about how many would NOT buy an english version. It would be wise to offer something else than creditcards - as they are a lot less common in Germany than in USA. I suggest using ShareIt. Although they cost more, they offer (if I remember right) some alternative paying methods. AmazonShops could be a solution too. Of course if you are as lazy as me, you don''t care and only accept creditcards.

Vaporisator:

yeah, how could I forget gamestar!???!!!!
Yes, they''re definately the best
(hahaha "raumschiff gamestar" )

I have no idea why I forgot to mention them.

Maybe joker is dead, I didn''t buy any game magazines
for a long time... I''m not up to date

cliffski:

I sent you a mail.

Well, I think it''s not necessary to translate a game to make it
just playable to most german gamers. But especially if you
have some comedy and other cool stuff that heavily uses
idioms, "the cool thing" about it may not be received as good
as it would if it had been translated, I suppose.

One hint:

No localization (i.e. shipping the english version) is always
better than a bad localization. If you don''t have the
resources to do a proper translation, don''t bother doing it.

The only way to get some real money out of the German market is to go with a retail publisher. We are owned 75% by Magnussoft, one of the largest publishers in Germany. Localisation of Starlines, Inc. into German will be taken care of by the publisher and you can negotiate an advance on royalties.

I am not sure why Jester seems to think I am opposed to advances in general. My company paid advances for a number of different games. I only told you "no" because you wanted to sell me a non-exclusive license for an advance. The words "go trick someone else" came to mind... Anyway, good luck negotiating with CDV and I hope this company will be able to pay you before they go bankrupt (is imminent according to industry gossip).

Cliffski, if you want to contact Magnussoft then please send an E-mail to Michael Freimuth at freimuth@magnussoft.de.

Take care,

Alex

And I replied to you already by E-mail saying that we sent off your royalty cheque. Quote from my E-mail: "It was sent out in the second week of July. You should have it by now???".

I should point out that taking a comment like this about royalties to a public forum is most definately "not done".

Thank you for wishing me luck Alex. I prefer "success" though.

Anyway I have become a lousy partner to negotiate with. Actually except a brand-new car and a house, there is not much I could use (more) money for.

Uhm... call me stupid but I honestly do not have the E-mail you are referring to. All I got was the initial E-mail asking it and I replied awaiting a further E-mail from you.

Don''t blame me for your E-mails not getting where they should mate... I cannot reply if I do not receive it.