Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jehoshaphath

Total noob with network

Hi. I''m actually making a rpg... I won''t have lobbies, but I want the user to be able to choose to which server to connect, and then play on that server. Where can I find tutorials on what type of comm I need (peer2peer, client/server, etc.), because I have no idea what each one is. And, if you know some nice DirectPlay tutorials, plz let me know. Tnx.

A pretty good tutorial is Beej''s Guide to Network Programming. It should give you the basics that you need to start with network programming.

I would suggest trying to make some simple ''chat'' programs first to get comfortable with the network code before trying to do something like an RPG.

--------
Andrew

Check out Multiplayer Game Programming. It has good general networking information for a beginner, and has a lengthy discussion of Direct Play. For more advanced stuff, check out something like Unix Network Programming by Stevens.

you will need a centralized server in which other server contact. then he clients (ie players) would connect to the master gamelist server and request the list of servers it has. then the client "pings" all the servers and presents them to the player. the player selects a server and then the client connects to the server chosen. the master server must run 24/7 so it can be availible to give its list of servers (ie of ppl who run the rpg server which will contact the master server every 10-30mins or so and telling the master server that rpg server is alive. possibly what level/scenario/etc its playing as well).

you could just have th user put the ip into a box and then connect that way. then the user just needs to know the address of the rpg server and you wont need a master server. however this also means you need some other way to get the rpg server ip list to the players.