Users database question

Started by
8 comments, last by Jehoshaphath 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi. I''m making an online RPG. What''s usually used to store all the info for the user ID''s and stuff? an existing database (ie: access), or a personal file system?
Life is like chess... When the game is over, all pieces, the queens, the kings and the pawns, they all go to the same box...
Advertisement
HI

I think this is one of those rare chasees when it''s best NOT to reinvent the wheel.

Use an off the shelf Database, preferably not Access. Use an SQL DB such as Microsoft''s SQLServer, or MySQL (free and open-source !). With this you can use Stored Procedures to help speed things up a bit.

Hth

necr0
That is not dead can eternal lie, and even in sleep death may die.
which one of those would you recommend?

If I'm holding information like battlenet (filename=player name, one filename per player, etc.), would you still recommend one of those engines?

Tnx.

[edited by - Jehoshaphath on July 17, 2002 12:03:56 AM]
Life is like chess... When the game is over, all pieces, the queens, the kings and the pawns, they all go to the same box...
I liked that Necr0

If you are producing a system you expect others to deploy I would use MySQL as it has the lions share and from your point of view probibly cheaper to deploy to test.

However, I would be careful to encapsulate the database code so that changing it from one system to another would be a pretty trivial exercise.

Regards

BaelWrath

If it is not nailed down it''s mine and if I can prise it loose,
it''s not nailed down!
BaelWrathIf it is not nailed down it's mine and if I can prise it loose,it's not nailed down!
Hi

Jehoshaphath : I would never use a flat file system for information storage like that. The only time I would use a personal file system is to get something up and running quickly.

I am going to recommend MySQL (as it is free), unless you can afford MS SQLServer.
quote:Original post by necr0
MySQL (free and open-source !). With this you can use Stored Procedures to help speed things up a bit.

MySQL doesn''t support stored procedures, and there''s no plans in the near future to support them (it would mean also supporting some sort of scripting language, and there''s lots of debate about which language to use).

MySQL is good though, so I still recommend it.

codeka.com - Just click it.
Why not use MSDE (Free version of MS-SqlServer)
FreeBSD & Apache Webserver w/ MySQL
mainly because its all free all you need an ip or two and some memory to partition. =P
ok... we have a winner...

I''ll go with MySQL.

Tnx.

Jehos.-
Hi

If you do use MySQL here are a couple of useful programs to get :

MySQL Navigator : A GUI for MySQL

mySQL++ : C++ MySQL API

Hth

Necr0

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement