• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i1977

Maximum texture sizes

This topic is 5821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I remember some old Voodoo cards had maximum texture dimensions of 256 x 256. What about hardware in use today? I know that my relatively old TNT and TNT2 both support textures up to 2048 x 2048. Are there still cards out there today that are limited to textures smaller that that?

Advertisement
Generally, you''d be safe assuming 1024x1024.

But it''s definitely a good idea to check the hardware caps anyway

Josh

I thought that none of the Voodoo cards prior to 4 supported 1024x1024 in hardware ?

Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

I was thinking of "recent" cards. If you''re thinking older voodoo (1-3) they only supported 256x256 or 512x512 max.

Again, ALWAYS check the hardware caps...

I guess I didn''t know that a Voodoo 3 was an ''older'' card. I know 2 people struggling to use them.

quote:
Original post by Spartacus
You might want to check out this place: DirectX DeviceCaps Database

Spartacus

Real programmers don''t document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

One of those online databases (forget which one) had incorrect info on a card that I personnally own and was able to verify. Makes me leary.

Thanks for the link Spartacus! Even if the info is not always 100% accurate in such databases, at least it gives a good idea of what one can generally expect.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!