A little game idea

Started by
9 comments, last by Overload 21 years, 8 months ago
This is just an idea I thought up quickly so it''s not very detailed and anyone can use it if they want to. Anyway, I watched the movie ''The one'' with Jet Lee in it and I really liked the idea about the whole different universe thing (if you haven''t seen the movie, it''s based on there being more than one universe (they call it a multiverse) and people can travel between universes through worm holes, oh and all the universes are different in some way) Now I liked it how they were all different in some way and thought it might make a good game. Finally the idea: In most games it is the same kind of theme as in same weapons all the time, the same kind of levels (with some exceptions) right? so what if players could travel through to different universes where the weapons and stuff were different and bring things back from one universe to another, e.g. Say the player goes to a universe based in WW2 picks up a machine gun with lots of ammo takes it to a universe in the American civil war to a battle between England and America (like one in the Patriot) joins the English side, then opens up a can of whoop ass on the Americans (or maybe on the English) and wins the war for England, maybe changing other universes because of this. So the game would be like (insert number of universes here) games in one but the player could have fun changing universes or taking things from one universe to another. Sorry it''s probably a crap idea I just wanted to see if people liked it because I know I can''t make it myself...yet.
Advertisement
You could make a nice adventure with this theme.

Day of the tentacle had something of this, not different universes, but different times...

I wonder why everyone wants to make that FPS...
-----The scheduled downtime is omitted cause of technical problems.
''The One'' probably got the idea off the TV series ''Sliders''. It''s a pretty good series and it has the same concept.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
eh, that idea is older than "sliders"... it''s been in science fiction for a while. see "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" by Robert Heinlein (probably not the first time the concept was used, but that''s where i first heard of it, and it is a good book).
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
This idea reminds me of chrono trigger mainly because you travel through time and thins you do in the past affect the future.
quote:Say the player goes to a universe based in WW2 picks up a machine gun with lots of ammo takes it to a universe in the American civil war to a battle between England and America (like one in the Patriot) joins the English side, then opens up a can of whoop ass on the Americans (or maybe on the English) and wins the war for England, maybe changing other universes because of this.

I like the idea, but every game must have at least one purpose/goal. I don't see any purposes by messing up different multiverse, unless if you can make it somewhat like "fixing" history or something. By the way, do you mean different universe or different time? Your explanation seems to mean different time.

My compiler generates one error message: "Doesn't compile."
-Albert Tedja-

[edited by - nicho_tedja on July 18, 2002 2:04:39 PM]
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
It sounds cool, I guess you could simplify the concept somewhat by looking at is as each universe as one single story, but you'd have to make them non linear, so the problem in that scenario would have to be making an events system to keep things new and happening in every universe (ugh).

As fars as the concept of a "multiverse" didn't Robert Hienlen also write "The Mark Of The Beast" (which brings to mind the year they hung the lawyers hehe), ehh, who the hell am I kidding I need to pull my head out of my ass and read more science fiction, such as the afformentioned title.

With reguard to Chrono Trigger, yeah that game is great (SNES is the only way to play it, conisdering it bogs the PSX, haven't tried it on PS2 yet though), but the depth of the which you affect things dosen't go very far. As they put in Back to The Future, "You're not thinking four dimensionaly".

Hmm, the story would pose somewhat of a problem, but then again who says you need a real elaborate one? Look at GTA3... There are a set of goals to complete, like kill so many of these guys, put out this many fires, save this many people in the ambulance. But when you look at the actual story line it's very vague and is just kind of there in the background. There are just so many things to do. (I think the one thing left out was delivering pizzas...) So if you could come up with a loose story line, like a Dr. Who kind of thing (tracking a bad guy across time or rather universises in this case), but incorporate other objectives in there too, so the game stays intresting, and also alieviating you of the task of coming up with some story as grandios in scale as Final Fantasy 10.

I think if you did somthing like that, you'd have yourself a great game.

[edited by - gamedweeb on July 18, 2002 2:20:07 PM]
I kind of thought of the universes as just being different in some way but also in different times, so both ideas put together.

I did try to think up a story after I posted the first message but all of the ones I thought of were either over the top or had been used (or were just stupid) e.g A bad guy is going through universes fudging them up and you have to stop him and fix his stuff he has done (see what I mean).

Also, it could be a different genre, I guess, like an RPG but I had just automaticly imagined it as a FPS.

If anyone can think of a story to go with it I'd like to hear it.

EDIT: I havn't played Chrono Trigger, could someone tell me what it's like

[edited by - overload on July 20, 2002 1:43:29 AM]
Actually, I must say that Chrono Cross (the successor (but time-wise the prequal)) to Chrono Trigger demonstrates the idea of the multiverse much better. Instead of time travelling, it is two somewhat linked dimensions.

Chrono Cross did have the taking items from one universe to another: ie you take a shark tooth from the fisherman in "Home World" and show it to his cult-fanatic counterpart in "Another World", who then gets so surpirsed because there''s anouther him who isn''t the cult-fanatic guy, and then the voodoo statue in the back joins your party (huh? i don''t get it, either). Take your party members to see themselves in the other world, too! Sometimes, they give themselves gifts!

The multiverse concept is still pretty big in theoretical physics. Actually, for an interesting implementation of the multiverse, Chrichton''s Timeline was centered around time travel that was made possible by traversing the multiverse (since, in this theory of physics, all of these universes exist at the same "time" ... not technically correct, but close enough)
Sorry, I haven''t posted for a while because I went camping in the snow for a few days.

I sort of have a story line: A criminal has escaped from your universe and knows how to go to other universes. You are a member of a small government funded group that knows how to this too. You travel through the universes with a side kick who tells you about certain things. As you go through different universes trying to find him you have to or can do quests which will get you to the next universe or find where the criminal is or open up special bonuses. As you open up different universes they become playable in custom/skirmish games where you can mess around with the universe (maybe people can make mods for the game by making new universes).

I think the view like the Zelda games (I think its second person view or something) should be used.

Any comments?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement