Dirextx, Glide or Opengl

Started by
6 comments, last by Sabrewolf 21 years, 9 months ago
Hey. I have a question. What is best to use when you what to program in 3D is it Dirextx, Glide or Opengl?
Advertisement
Glide? You mean the propietary API for the Vodoo cards that noone with SOME sense and working brain still has? Really?

Hm, I suggest when using Glide you also program in DOS. I mean, you seem to have a flair for outdated specs :-)

No, Glide is out.

OpenGL and DirectX - thats a philosophy. I just learn DirectX (9) and keep out of OpenGL, but then - I am only interested in Windows.

OpenGL is platform independent, but weaker without support libraries. Not in the graphics area, but by lacking other things, like DirectMusic and DirectInput. There are libraries for this, though.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
I''d start with openGL, it''s pretty easy to start with (refers to http://nehe.gamedev.net/ )

In the end, it renders the same triangles
quote:Original post by Divide
I''d start with openGL, it''s pretty easy to start with (refers to http://nehe.gamedev.net/ )

I second that.

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
ah, the common misconception. although you cant use direct3d with opengl, it doesnt mean that you cant use directinput, sound, play, music, etc.

My current combination is FMOD for audio, directinput for input and opengl for graphics.
Hi

I''m making some interesting experiences in using OpenGL and DirectX. The problem with OpenGL on Windows platforms is that it seems that Microsoft stopped all support. The actual version for windows is still 1.1, although SGL has released a version 1.2.
I''m working on a project with the topic volume rendering and it was very frustrating when I realized that OpenGL 1.1 does not support 3DTextures. Because of this old OpenGL version I think DirectX8 is the choice if you write 3D programs on a MS Windows OS.
Mental - I did not have the misconception of not mixing OpenGL and DirectX.

It is just that using OpenGL for Windows development makes no sense IMHO, while at the same time mixing means you can not go cross platform without replacing the parts you have mixed in :-)

My recommendation would be to
(a) decide whether you need cross platform and
(b) use DirectX if not.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
As you can see asking OpenGL vs. DirectX is a pointless question, everyone has a different opinon and so these weekly threads just become flamewars. Please read The Article. If you are still unsure afterwords do a search of the fourms to read all the thousands of other OpenGL vs DirectX posts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement