Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G-Force

Animation 3D file formats

I''ve made myself a .3ds viewer and I''m now thinking of making some kind of mini libary for my self to load models. I was just wondering if someone could tell me any formats out there that will allow animation other than .mdl .md2 .md3 in other words model formats that are not game specific. Can you animate .3ds files? Would that involve exporting each frame then using key frame information and interpolating between each frame? Thanks for the help G-Force

Since any model you import into your game will be made up of vertices and edges, any of them can be animated. It just depends if you''ve written the proper routines to handle it. That depends largely on what kind of animation you want to do.

3ds files can have bones exported with their info...so right there you have access to skeletal animation if you write code to support such animation and create models with proper bone setups (ie: create a file format that describes an animation. Almost like a script, it would have commands like "move bone1 to x,x,x over 5 seconds" and your engine would have to interpolate that movement over the correct time frame)

Also, your idea of interpolating between multiple static positions of the same model would work.