Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nyStagmus

Which is faster?

I have loaded a .ms3d file into memory. I am using a local copy of the vertices, a vertex buffer that is updated each frame to animate the model and an index buffer for each group (that is not updated after load-time). Now I am thinking of putting it all into a D3DXMESH8 interface, optimize the mesh and then update the vertex buffer each frame. Is it worth it do you think or should I stick to the way I am doing now?

why on earth are you copying the vertex buffer every frame? unless you are dynamically deforming or editing the mesh, stick it in a static VB and use a matrix to move it around every frame

I _am_ deforming it each frame to animate the sucker... Do you think I could somehow just send a bunch of matrices to D3D and leave the vb be? The matrices are changed each frame I might add.

If you are using skeletal animation you should use vertex shaders with a static VB.

------------------------------------------------------
Cuando miras al abismo el abismo te devuelve la mirada.
F. Nietzsche

How do I send the updated matrices to the shader each frame?

*edit* I think I'll have to look a little closer at programmable vertex shaders. *edit*

[edited by - nystagmus on July 18, 2002 1:36:52 PM]

Thanks Jim! I''ve done a little reading now on vertex shaders and I believe that they are indeed (much) better. However my initial question, or at least the essence of it, still remains. Would it be better to convert the data to a D3DXMESH8 interface and use Optimize than having my own vertex and index buffers, which are certainly not optimized in any way?