Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GiantPaul

Fire example from special effects in directx book

It works but I have vertical orange and black lines before the fire gets going. I''m pretty sure the problem is when I lock the texture and write to it. I''m using a texture made from file interface. Also I''m using a sprite interface to draw the texture. In the book they do it differently, hehe.

Now I know that the problem is with the graphics card. At my friend''s house the fire works perfectly but not on my computer. I have 16 bit and he has 16 and 32 bit. The fire works on both of his while my card is a cheap one on the motherboard. Still I played Diablo2 with no problems with their fires.

Try using the reference rasterizer. If it displays fine, then its your card or drivers. If it also has problems, then its the program itself.
Is your friend running it at 32bpp? If so, that could be the cause. Try getting him to run it at 16bpp.

HTH, Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates

Are there any simple ways to display fires so they work on almost any computer? I mean I could run the fire algorithm on a better computer and then take alot of screenshots and use texture blitting. In games like Diablo 2 and Baldur''s Gate did they use fire equations and locking and writing each pixel to a texture or did they use blitting textures with fire images?