Why are NeHe's tuts so slow?

Started by
16 comments, last by cppdude 21 years, 9 months ago
Why are NeHe''s tuts so slow? My computer can run quake3 but it cant even run the texture mapping tut at a decent framerate
Advertisement
his tutorials don''t seem to have an fps counter, how are you calculating the framerate?

---
Come to #directxdev IRC channel on AfterNET
also, nehe''s tuts don''t disable vsync, so if you''re maxed out at 60FPS or 30FPS or whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is, that''s why.

with disabling vsync i get around several hundred FPS on most of his basic tuts

-me
How do u disable vsync?
if you''re using openGL, and your card supports the extension, you can do it with this code using openGL extensions. if you don''t know what openGL extensions are or how to use it look it up

PFNWGLSWAPINTERVALEXTPROC pFunc = NULL;		if ((pFunc = (PFNWGLSWAPINTERVALEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress("wglSwapIntervalEXT")) != NULL)			pFunc(0); 

if you''re not or your card doesn''t you can sometimes do it from your windows desktop properties dialog box. it all depends on your video card driver. all newer cards allow you to disable vsync google it on the web.

-me

if your using an older voodoo card, that''ll be why. They don''t support GL directly, (especially in a window). This was the reason for 3dfx ''quake 3 compatible'' drivers that popped up when the game came out.
http://www.steinsoft.net/programming/snippets/opengl/snippet7.htm
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Thanks
Wow, thanks for the link Uthman! I''ve been looking for something like that for AGES!
Wow, thanks for the link Uthman! I''ve been looking for something like that for AGES!

i3 games.tk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement