RPGs everywhere

Started by
24 comments, last by siaspete 21 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
...is there any way to make an RPG without a team of 12+?

ask richard garriot
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
Lord British is the man, but it sucks that U9 was optimized for Glide and not D3D. Big mistake on their part.

Feudal Conquest, An Online Strategy Game, has just become an Open Beta!

We''re looking for Beta Testers!

If you''re interested or just want more information, head on over to: http://www.feudalconquest.com
quote: ...is there any way to make an RPG without a team of 12+?

I really dont think its a bad as that!
If you can program well enough to manage as much code as a RPG requires, i think most of the RPG can be made by one person.
Of course, You will have to use all the help you can, including already existing script languages like Spidermonkey(java-script)/Lua etc. Staying away from 3d graphics is probably a good idea, at least to me it seems impossible to do all the RPG stuff, *and* create a good 3d engine.(besides i dislike 3d in RPGs, even Neverwinter nights looks weird).
Im planning on making everything but the art and sounds, and then perhaps recruit some help to make side-quests etc.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
...is there any way to make an RPG without a team of 12+?

As long as you expect a reasonable development duration and accept that you will almost certainly need some graphics help at some point (I use the ask around and grovel technique for this ) you can DIY.

Did I mention not having to sleep is a plus?

Seriously tho, there are a number of solo and small team projects out there that look promising.

Regards

BaelWrath

If it is not nailed down it''s mine and if I can prise it loose,
it''s not nailed down!
BaelWrathIf it is not nailed down it's mine and if I can prise it loose,it's not nailed down!
Just cos it''s an RPG, doesn''t mean it has to be massive. You could write a small one that was just set in a single castle or town or spacebase or whatever, and then reuse that engine for your Epic later once you have a decent game done.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
I do agree with the original post. I do see a lot of "I want to make an RPG" posts here on the board, especially among newer programmers.

Actually, I used to be one of those people, then I read

this

changed my whole way of thinking. And I''m glad that I broke the path into smaller steps, because otherwise I might''ve became discouraged and given up. Having one complete and working tetris game is a lot better than having an unfinished RPG sitting on your hard drive.

I think a lot of it comes from the inexperience. These smaller games seem "too easy" to people just starting. And I''m talking in the "what should I make?" phase, not the "I''m making it now" phase. If there''s anything I''ve learned from working on these "easy" games, is that they aren''t really easy at all. And the more I think I know, the more I realize there''s a lot I don''t know.

So my advice to any of you starters out there who want to make an RPG, read the above article. Because I don''t want to see anyone quit from being overwhelmed.

Lucas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement