Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try my game

This topic is 5617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''ve finally finished my first game. After a couple failed attemps, I stuck with it and finished this project to the point that I''m satisfied. It''s by no means a completed game content or artwise, but virtually all the functionality is there, though perhaps not displayed in the game. It''s a pokemon clone in a 2D isometric engine. Programmer art and not very good music (I''m learning) and if anybody wants the source for some reason, I can mail it to them. www.geocities.com/tj963b/Creature.zip P.S. There are four bytes of lost memory that I can''t track down so don''t run it too many times Tj963

Just realized I forgot the controls so:
Arrow keys - move/select
X - Accept
Z - Cancel
Enter - Menu/Switch creatures and items

tj963

Guest Anonymous Poster
It needs a one-press-escape-key.
Just some advice: "Pokemon-clone: No. No, no, no, no, no.

No."

Seriously. No.

Hey I needed to do something graphically easy. Anyways, Klopper: There was a bug there that I fixed a few minutes after I posted and then re-uploaded it so it''ll work now.

tj963

Firstly, it''s my first game, not my first attempt. This is about the third incarnation of the engine. It took this long for me to be satisfied enough with it to actually make a game on top of it.

I only did a pokemon clone because it required almost no art (you can probaly see why) and because I had to add very little to the engine to turn it into a game. But yeah, I agree, I probably could have found a better idea...

tj963

A few tips:

1) ESC key should always let you quit a game, otherwise it annoys your users

2) X is not an intuitive key, use ENTER instead

3) Isometric is quite hard for your first game, maybe try 2D parallax?

4) Make an installer, and make the link in your post clickable

The game didnt crash for me (although windowed mode didnt work) which is quite ood, and its impressive to have MIDi music in your first game. Personally I am not a fan of Pokemon games, but as a learning experience you seem to be doing pretty well.

http://www.positech.co.uk